RL Circuit Refresher: Solve Total Current

In summary, the conversation was about a parallel RL circuit and the discussion revolved around finding the total current. The formula used for calculating the total current was initially incorrect, but later corrected by one of the participants. It was also mentioned that admittances in parallel add and there was a discussion about trusting information found on the internet.
jendrix
Hi, I have just been refreshing my theory and was going over a parallel RL circuit, like this one.

vFu2isf.png

The site I was reading had this for the total current

wSOg5fX.png

I tried some values as a test but it doesn't give me the correct answer, for total current. eg if I set
V=10V
R=2.5ohm
jXl=5ohm

Then IR=10/2.5 =4A

IL=10/5=2A

IT=√42 +22 =4.47A

However when I try the formula from the second answer I get 10/(2.5-2j) which following the maths gives me 2.44+1.95j=3.12A

Am I going wrong somewhere or is it the formula?Thanks

Attachments

• vFu2isf.png
    vFu2isf.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 755
  • wSOg5fX.png
    wSOg5fX.png
    8 KB · Views: 776
Engineering news on Phys.org
jendrix said:
However when I try the formula from the second answer I get 10/(2.5-2j) which following the maths gives me 2.44+1.95j=3.12A

Admittances in parallel add. That should be your approach.

upload_2018-8-8_21-15-30.png

A 'Site', you said ? If it's on the internet it must be right, eh ? See my signature.....

see if that works any better.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_21-15-30.png
    upload_2018-8-8_21-15-30.png
    6 KB · Views: 324
Likes jendrix and Delta2
Oops ----- make that it equals Vin X ( 1/R -j1/ωL )

i put my j in wrong place . :cry:

Likes Delta2
jim hardy said:
Oops ----- make that it equals Vin X ( 1/R -j1/ωL )

i put my j in wrong place . :cry:

Seems we can't even trust Old Jim when he posts at the internet with a computer, cause we can never trust a computer with anything important :-p

Ok seriously speaking that was a minor mistake, I didn't notice it either, I just noticed the huge mistake in the algebra in the OP.

Likes jim hardy
i do that all the time. I'm just clumsy.

Thanks @Delta2

Likes jendrix
jim hardy said:
i do that all the time. I'm just clumsy.

Thanks @Delta2

Thanks Jim for clearing that up

Likes jim hardy and Delta2

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). These two components create a circuit that allows for the flow of electrical current.

2. How do you calculate the total current in an RL circuit?

The total current in an RL circuit can be calculated using the formula I = V/R, where I is the total current, V is the voltage applied, and R is the total resistance of the circuit. This formula takes into account both the resistance and inductance of the circuit.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits in terms of total current?

In an AC (alternating current) circuit, the total current can vary over time, as the direction of the current changes. In a DC (direct current) circuit, the total current remains constant, as the direction of the current does not change.

4. How does the inductance of an RL circuit affect the total current?

The inductance of an RL circuit affects the total current by creating an opposition to the flow of current. This is known as inductive reactance, and it increases as the frequency of the current increases. Therefore, a higher inductance in an RL circuit will result in a lower total current.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and current in an RL circuit?

In an RL circuit, the voltage and current have a phase difference due to the presence of the inductor. The voltage leads the current by 90 degrees, meaning that the maximum voltage occurs before the maximum current. This phase difference is known as the power factor and can affect the efficiency of the circuit.