Impedance angle in RL and RC circuits

In summary, according to the All About Circuits website, two of the questions give a phase angle for impedance as opposite the angle of current. This difference in phase angle may play a role in how current flows through a circuit.
StuartSpencer

Homework Statement

This isn't so much of a problem itself but I found it interesting that on the All About Circuits website, two of the questions give a phase angle for impedance as opposite the angle of current. I understand the current is 90 degrees out of phase with voltage in both RL and RC circuits, but do not understand the reasoning behind the impedance phase angles.

Here are the relevant links,

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-4/series-resistor-capacitor-circuits/

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-current/chpt-3/series-resistor-inductor-circuits/

Homework Equations

V = IR [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to attempt a solution here, I looked online and used various searches but didn't find anything. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you present one of the examples here for discussion so that helpers don't have to read through both pages to find what you're referring to?

gneill said:
Why don't you present one of the examples here for discussion so that helpers don't have to read through both pages to find what you're referring to?

Alright, in the RC circuit link there is an RC series circuit with

R = 5 Ohms
C = 100 microFarads
V = 10V / 60Hz

The total impedance is calculated to be 27 ohms and an angle of -79 degrees.
The total current is calculated to be 370.5 mA at an angle of +79 degrees.

In the RL circuit,

R = 5 ohms
L = 10 mH
V = 10V/ 60Hz

The total impedance is calculated to be 6.262 ohms at an angle of +37 degrees
The total current is calculated to be 1.597 amps at an angle of -37 degrees.

In both examples the current is the opposite angle of the impedance. Like I said I understand how the current differs in phase angle from the voltage, but do not understand where the relationship between phase angle of current and phase angle of impedance comes into play.

The current is given by Ohm's law:

##I = \frac{V}{Z}##

Since the voltage source is supplying the phase reference angle, it's angle is 0°. In the equation the impedance is in the denominator, so if its angle is, say Φ, when the division is performed the resulting phase angle of the current is given by 0° - Φ = -Φ. That's basic complex math.

Thank you very much, that clears it up for me!

1. What is impedance angle in RL and RC circuits?

Impedance angle is a measure of the phase difference between the voltage and current in an RL or RC circuit. It is represented by the Greek letter theta (θ) and is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is impedance angle related to resistance and reactance?

The impedance angle is determined by the ratio of the circuit's reactance (X) to its resistance (R). A high reactance relative to resistance will result in a larger impedance angle and vice versa.

3. How does impedance angle affect the behavior of an RL or RC circuit?

The impedance angle determines the phase relationship between voltage and current in a circuit. A larger impedance angle indicates a greater phase shift, which can affect the power and efficiency of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between impedance angle in RL and RC circuits?

In an RL circuit, the impedance angle is determined by the inductive reactance, while in an RC circuit, it is determined by the capacitive reactance. This results in different phase relationships between voltage and current in the two types of circuits.

5. How can the impedance angle be calculated in RL and RC circuits?

The impedance angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions from the values of resistance and reactance in the circuit. In an RL circuit, the impedance angle can also be determined using the inductive time constant (L/R), while in an RC circuit, it can be determined using the capacitive time constant (RC).