RLC Black box at different frequencies

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the components and connections inside a black box connected to an AC circuit. The total impedance and phase shift at different frequencies provide clues about the presence of a resistor, capacitor, or inductor. By comparing the changes in total impedance with frequency, one can determine the presence of a capacitor or inductor. However, to determine if they are connected in series or parallel, one must consider how the frequency affects the components in each circuit.
IonKim
Supposed there is a black box connect to an AC circuit. Inside the black box, there are either a resistor connected with a capacitor or a resistor connected with a inductor. They can be connected either in series or in parallel. The total impedance and phase shift of the black box at 2 different frequency are given. How can I figure out what components are inside the black box and how are they connected?

I know I can figure out if there is a capacitor or an inductor inside by comparing the change of the total impedance to the frequency change. If the total impedance increase as the frequency increase, there is an inductor inside. Otherwise, there is a capacitor inside.

However, how can I figure out if they are connected in series or parallel? Should I compare the change of the phase shift to figure it out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a popular member here likes to say, a question well stated is half answered. You know what happens if just a resistor is the load and you know what happens when just a capacitor or inductor is a load. So the frequency can be lowered to the point that the capacitor would virtually appear to be missing. How would this differ from a series circuit to a parallel circuit? You see where I am going with this? BTW, welcome to the forum.

1. What is an RLC black box?

An RLC black box is a circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. It is used to analyze the behavior of these components at different frequencies.

2. How does an RLC black box work?

An RLC black box works by passing an electrical signal through the circuit and measuring the response at various frequencies. The components in the circuit interact with each other to produce different responses depending on the frequency of the input signal.

3. What is the purpose of using an RLC black box?

The main purpose of using an RLC black box is to study the behavior of resistors, inductors, and capacitors at different frequencies. This can help in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, as well as understanding the characteristics of these components.

4. How does the response of an RLC black box change with frequency?

The response of an RLC black box depends on the frequency of the input signal. At certain frequencies, the components may resonate and amplify the signal, while at others they may cancel each other out. The response may also vary depending on the values of the components in the circuit.

5. What are the applications of an RLC black box?

An RLC black box has various applications, including in electronic filter design, impedance matching, and frequency response analysis. It is also commonly used in audio equipment, telecommunication systems, and electronic testing and measurement.