How to solve a circuit mystery box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a circuit mystery box containing 5 identical resistors. The box has 6 "plugs" and an ohmmeter can only be connected to 2 plugs at a time. The problem statement is vague and lacks evidence to come to a conclusion. The resistance values obtained may serve as evidence, but no diagram or further information is provided to solve the mystery box. The conversation ends with the expert stating that there is insufficient evidence to base any conclusion and the thread is locked due to the misplaced homework and lack of effort shown.
Sage4
Member warned that homework questions must be posted in a Homework section, with efforts shown.
How can I solve a ciruit mystery box only knowing there are 5 identical resistors inside. I have two to solve, one they're all in serie and the other is a combination serie and parallele. My mystery box has 6 «plugs» and i can connect 2 plugs at a time to an ohmmeter. I've been trying for days and i need a clue on how to solve or at least begin to solve those mystery boxes. Sorry for the bad english.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Insufficient evidence on which to base any conclusion.

What do you mean by evidence?

Well, for example, all 6 of the plugs could be connected to nothing at all, or all 6 could be connected to the same point. You have shown no evidence to refute either of those possibilities. Many of the possible combinations of circuit layouts have fewer than 6 nodes, so there is no possibility that all 6 plugs could be connected to different points in all cases.

In other words, the problem statement is so vague that there IS no solution.

Could the resistance values i obtained be evidence? If yes, here's an example. All resistor are 10k ohm and they're all in serie. With 6 «plugs» or nodes like you said, i have the 15 following combinations. What conclusions could be made? The colors are because I'm more of a visual learner.
124657730_782801952577101_4577137079619889906_n.jpg

Measure and record the resistance between;
Terminal; t1 and t2=30k, t3=20k, t4=30k, t5=20k, t6=10k
Terminal; t2 and t3=10k, t4=20k, t5=30k, t6=20k
Terminal; t3 and t4=10k, t5=20k, t6=10k
Terminal; t4 and t5=30k, t6=20k
Terminal; t5 and t6=10k

Notice the 5x 10k ?
The 5x 10k resistors are between; t1-t6, t2-t3, t3-t4, t3-t6, t5-t6.

Notice there are three arms from t3 and from t6.
But t3 and t6 are connected by 10k.

t2 and t4 are each connected by 10k to t3.
t1 and t5 are each connected by 10k to t6.
t1, t2, t4 and t5 are the terminal ends of the circuit.
Now check all the 20k and 30k values are series connected paths on the same diagram.

Likes berkeman
Ok I've been trying with those info, but i still can't figure the way the terminals are connected with one another for the circuit to be correct. As i said I'm more of a visual learner so a diagram would help me understand what you just said.

Sage4 said:
Ok I've been trying with those info, but i still can't figure the way the terminals are connected with one another for the circuit to be correct. As i said I'm more of a visual learner so a diagram would help me understand what you just said.
I find it a bit odd considering YOU are the one who is asking the questions that YOU have not made any attempt at providing a diagram when YOU openly admit you are a visual learner so a diagram would help. So let's see some effort on your part. Otherwise, this:
phinds said:
Insufficient evidence on which to base any conclusion.

is quite an appropriate answer.

Likes Vanadium 50
Thread locked - the post was misplaced homework with no effort shown.

1. How do I approach solving a circuit mystery box?

The first step in solving a circuit mystery box is to carefully observe the box and its components. Look for any clues or markings that may indicate the purpose or function of each component. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram of the circuit to get a better understanding of its layout.

2. What tools do I need to solve a circuit mystery box?

To solve a circuit mystery box, you will need basic tools such as a multimeter, wire cutters, and a soldering iron. These tools will help you test and troubleshoot the components of the circuit.

3. How do I test the components of a circuit mystery box?

To test the components of a circuit mystery box, you can use a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance. This will help you determine if a component is working properly or if it needs to be replaced.

4. What are some common issues that can cause a circuit mystery box to not work?

There are several common issues that can cause a circuit mystery box to not work, including loose connections, faulty components, and incorrect wiring. It is important to carefully check all connections and troubleshoot each component to identify the issue.

5. How can I troubleshoot a circuit mystery box that is not working?

If your circuit mystery box is not working, start by checking all connections and ensuring they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to test each component for proper functioning. If a component is found to be faulty, replace it and retest the circuit. If the issue persists, double check the wiring and consult a schematic if available.