RLC circuit resonance experiment

• Thread starter Shreya
  • Start date
Shreya
Homework Statement
I tried to perform an experiment in my school physics lab with an RLC circuit. I plotted the variation of voltage across resistor against frequency of source.
Relevant Equations
Frequency of resonance ##\omega^2 = \frac {1} {LC}##
From the graph below of voltage across resistor vs. source frequency, it can be seen that resonance is obtained at 828Hz. But, on calculating the inductance of my inductor (homemade) using ##\frac {1}{(2\pi f)^2C}##, I got 7.9mH. But this is greater than the inductance of the solenoid calculated using ##L=\mu n^2 Al##, where ##\mu## is permeability of vacuum, A is the cross-section of solenoid, l is the length of solenoid and n is the number of turns per unit length . Could someone please help me understand why. Please be kind to help.
1693472707336.png

The capacitor i used was rate ##4.7 \micro farad##.
1693483429518.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Your post appears somewhat incomplete to me:
  • what circuit ?
  • What C value ?
  • ##\mu,\ n, \ A, \ l## ?
  • what is ##x,\ y## ?
You leave us guessing (I could reverse-engineer some things, but that's generally only asking for confusion).

Perhaps it's a good idea to read the PF guidelines ....

Oh, and it's ##\omega^2 = \frac {1} {LC}## ... :wink:

##\ ##

Likes berkeman and Shreya
Sorry for that, I have edited my question. Also here is a pic of my homemade inductor.
1693476630375.png

Shreya said:
I have edited my question.
Good. Makes my post look foolish, but never mind.

Leaves me wondering:
what is this
1693482203366.png
?

what is this
1693482266317.png
?

what is this
1693482323206.png
?

And
BvU said:
  • μ, n, A, l ?
  • what is x, y ?

Shreya said:
The capacitor I used was rated 4.7##\mu##F.
Good 2. (followed from ##f## and the 7.9 mH)

Your ##L=\mu n^2 Al## agrees with this but you don't mention the values you inserted, nor the result, so there's no way to check.

##\ ##

Likes SammyS and Shreya
Those images are a galvanometer (with 100 ohms resistance), my inductor (with 2.3 ohm resistance) and the ac source (which had 50 ohm resistance). I am sorry, i accidentally wrote the wrong resistances, i will edit the image.
1693483270754.png

Also here is my calculations. Hope this is better. Thank you for your patience

Wait a minute, now that i think about it, the moving coil galvanometer must have had some inductance, right? That must be the reason of my higher value of calculated inductance

The formula for the solenoid works for solenoid, which is supposed to be an ideal model with infinite length and only one layer of wire wrapped around the core. If not infinite, the ratio diameter to length should be much smaller than 1. Your coil does not seem to satisfy any of these conditions. So, why would you expect to follow that formula?

Likes berkeman and Shreya
Thanks @nasu. That makes sense.

Ok, so calculation result reproduced -- except it's 0.6 mH, not 0.6 mF.
(But where does the 3.84 cm come from ? The picture suggests a lower value !)

Shreya said:
Wait a minute, now that i think about it, the moving coil galvanometer must have had some inductance, right? That must be the reason of my higher value of calculated inductance
Good observation ! It makes one wonder what the galvanometer is doing there ! Its inductance is indeed in series with your coil.
So you are missing 7.3 mH that maybe you can find back in the information about the galvanometer ?

This thread is a clear statement that one should always evaluate lab results immediately. Maybe not with all the statistics and details, but at least order-of-magnitude and a preliminary result.

• Informative
Likes Shreya
BvU said:
(But where does the 3.84 cm come from ? The picture suggests a lower value !)
I will check on that. Thanks for pointing it out!
BvU said:
This thread is a clear statement that one should always evaluate lab results immediately. Maybe not with all the statistics and details, but at least order-of-magnitude and a preliminary result.
That's true! Will do that from next time.
Thanks a million @BvU. Your suggestions really helped me figure out the issue.

Shreya said:
If you are just wanting to understand/verify some calculations for the resonance of a real RLC circuit, I'd leave out the galvanometer since it adds nothing useful to the circuit. If you want to know the current, you already have that in your measurement of the voltage across the resistor.

Last edited:
Likes Shreya

1. What is an RLC circuit resonance experiment?

An RLC circuit resonance experiment is an experiment that investigates the behavior of a circuit consisting of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) when an alternating current (AC) is applied. In this experiment, the frequency of the AC is varied to determine the resonant frequency at which the circuit exhibits maximum response.

2. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit resonance experiment?

The purpose of an RLC circuit resonance experiment is to study the properties of resonance in electrical circuits and to determine the resonant frequency, bandwidth, and quality factor of the circuit. This experiment also helps in understanding the behavior of RLC circuits in different applications such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers.

3. How is an RLC circuit resonance experiment performed?

To perform an RLC circuit resonance experiment, the circuit is set up with the R, L, and C components connected in series or parallel. The AC source is then connected to the circuit, and the frequency is gradually increased while measuring the voltage across the components. The resonant frequency is determined when the voltage across the circuit is at its maximum value.

4. What factors affect the resonant frequency in an RLC circuit resonance experiment?

The resonant frequency in an RLC circuit resonance experiment is affected by the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the type of circuit (series or parallel) and the quality of the components used. The frequency of the AC source also plays a crucial role in determining the resonant frequency.

5. What are some applications of RLC circuit resonance?

RLC circuit resonance has various applications in electronics, including filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. In filters, the resonant frequency is used to selectively pass or block certain frequencies. In oscillators, RLC circuits are used to generate stable oscillations. In amplifiers, RLC circuits can be used to amplify specific frequencies while attenuating others.