Question on corner and resonant frequencies

In summary, the first part of the conversation discusses the construction of an RC filter by replacing the bottom resistor with a capacitor. The corner frequency fc for this filter is determined to be 6.631 kHz by using the equation fc = 1/(2*pi*R*C). In the second part, an RLC circuit with specific values for R, L, and C is given and the resonant frequency fc is found to be 952.836 Hz using the equation fr = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C)).
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

1. An RC filter is constructed by modifying a voltage divider. The top resistor R1 = 3kOhms remains the same but the bottom resistor R2 is replaced by a capacitor C = 8nFarads. Determine the corner frequency fc for this filter in kHertz.

2. For an RLC circuit R = 12.4 kOhms, L = 9 uHenries, and C = 3.1 uFarads.Here u stands for micro ... there are no Greek letters in Blackboard., find the resonant frequency fc in kHz.

Homework Equations

fc = 1/(2*pi*R*C) fr = 1/(2pi*sqrt(L*C))

The Attempt at a Solution

For number 1, I plugged in R and C, and got 1/(2*pi*3000*8*10^-9) and got 6.631 kHz. For the second one, I got 1/(2pi*sqrt(9*10^-9*.0000031)) and got 952.836 Hz

I'm not to sure about my solutions, especially number 2, where I'm not sure if the equation I used was the correct one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonna bump this thread as I'm still not sure if my method was correct here.

1. What is the difference between corner frequency and resonant frequency?

Corner frequency refers to the frequency at which a system transitions from one behavior to another, such as from a low-pass to a high-pass filter. Resonant frequency refers to the frequency at which a system naturally oscillates or vibrates with maximum amplitude.

2. How do I calculate the corner frequency and resonant frequency of a system?

The corner frequency can be calculated using the formula fc = 1/(2πRC), where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance in the circuit. The resonant frequency can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1/(2π√LC), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance in the circuit.

3. What are the practical applications of corner and resonant frequencies?

Corner and resonant frequencies are important in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and mechanical systems.

4. How can I use corner and resonant frequencies to optimize my circuit?

By understanding the behavior of a circuit at different frequencies, you can adjust the values of components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to achieve the desired output. This can help in minimizing distortion, improving signal-to-noise ratio, and maximizing efficiency.

5. Can corner and resonant frequencies be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and electromagnetic interference can affect the values of components in a circuit, thus altering the corner and resonant frequencies. It is important to consider these factors in circuit design and analysis.