RLC, RL, RC and LC circuits and ODE

In summary: So, the combinations that are possible are:-1) A resistor in series with the voltage source. (The one on the left.) DC current zero, therefore possible to analyse in SPICE.2) A resistor in parallel with the voltage source. (The one on the right.) DC current infinite, therefore possible to analyse in SPICE.In summary, SPICE can analyse circuits with a resistor in series with the voltage source or a resistor in parallel with the voltage source.
Bruno Tolentino
Look this schematic picture:

Esquemas.png

S means source and can be a current source or a voltage source. C_1, C_2 and C_3 are linear components, can be resistor, capacitor and inductor.

In the everycircuit, I tried set up all possible combination and the everycircuit denied some combinations, but, those denied combinations are displayed how possibles in the wiki page about RLC, RC, RL and LC circuits. So, my questions is: what combinations are really impossibles and what are possibles?

And about the possibles, how are the EDO of this system? In other words, I want to write the voltage in function of the time and the current in function of the time for each possible case. I don't know do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bruno Tolentino said:
In the everycircuit, I tried set up all possible combination and the everycircuit denied some combinations

It would probably help people to answer you if you give specific examples of these "denied" combinations.

Bruno Tolentino said:
So, my questions is: what combinations are really impossibles and what are possibles?
I cannot see any impossibilities. I mean, some of them could cause sparks and heat, but give a box with resistors, capacitors and inductors I can connect them any way I want.

All circuits below don't works, especially of two of the right...

asasda.png

Why?

It's very hard to read your circuits, but the two right ones seem to connect an ideal coil directly to a voltage source, which means you produce a short circuit, which I'd try to avoid ;-).

Só, what are the convenient combinations and inconvenient (using the parameters that I provided in first post, above) and why?

I don’t know what software you are using but most of the circuit simulators around today are descendents of SPICE (LTSpice, PSPice, etc.) and they all work the same way.

When you start a simulation in SPICE, it first calculates the DC operating point by running a nodal analysis using Kirchoff’s law. To do this, it replaces all the capacitors with open-circuits and the inductors with short-circuits, and then solves the nodal equations for the DC operating point. (At DC an open-circuit is a perfect approximation to a capacitor and a short is a perfect approximation to an inductor.)

If SPICE cannot get the DC operating point it bails out and refuses to go any further.

The circuits that your simulator is rejecting all have either:-

1) A capacitor in series with the voltage source. (The three on the left.) No DC current, therefore not possible to analyse in SPICE, or
2) An inductor directly across the voltage source. (The two on the right.) DC current infinite, therefore not possible to analyse in SPICE.

I’m guessing that your simulator works the same way.

Likes Bruno Tolentino

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C), connected in series or in parallel. It is a type of electronic filter that is commonly used in signal processing applications.

2. What is the purpose of an RLC circuit?

The purpose of an RLC circuit is to control the flow of electrical current and voltage in a circuit. It can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, amplify signals, and control the resonant frequency of a circuit.

3. What is the difference between an RL and RC circuit?

An RL circuit consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L), while an RC circuit consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The main difference between the two is the type of reactance (resistance to current flow) that is present in the circuit. In an RL circuit, the reactance is due to the inductor, while in an RC circuit, it is due to the capacitor.

4. How do you solve an ODE for an RLC circuit?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) for an RLC circuit can be solved using various methods, such as the Laplace transform or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve converting the circuit into an equivalent mathematical equation and solving for the values of current and voltage in the circuit at different points in time.

5. What is the significance of resonance in an LC circuit?

In an LC (inductor-capacitor) circuit, resonance occurs when the reactance of the inductor is equal to the reactance of the capacitor. This results in maximum current flow in the circuit, and is used in applications such as radio receivers and transmitters, where the frequency of the input signal needs to be amplified.