RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid.

In summary, the person is asking for help with calculating the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid. They have tried two different methods, one involving adding the components of the wave and the other involving subtracting the RMS value of the clamped off part. However, neither method has given them the correct answer. They are seeking clarification on their assumptions and calculations.
itchy8me
so i have a question about calculating the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid.

Assumptions:
The top of the waveform = U
It is clamped at 0.5 U

I can calculate the RMS value by adding the 3 components of the wave, ei. @ 0.5U ω = π/6 & 5π/6 which forms a block and two side compnents. I then calculate integral of the squares of the two side components of the sinusoid and the block wave spanned from π/6 to 5π/6. and i find the RMS value which is ≈ 0.44*U.

Now i tried to calculate this a different way, but i could not get it to work. I thought it was logically equivalent to adding the components, but it is not working. Maybe someone could shed some light on my fallacies.
What i am trying to do is to calculate the RMS value of the complete rectified sinusoid and then substract the RMS value of the piece of sinusoid that has been clamped off. I found the piece that has been clamped off to be:

√(1/π * ∫(from π/6 to 5π/6) (-0.5*U + U*sin(ωt))^2 dωt) {-0.5*U drops the sinusoid so that i can find the RMS value of only the clamped of part. At least this is what i assume...}

and so i subtract that from the RMS value of the fully rectified sinusoid which is U/√2

This however provides me with a wrong answer which was somewhere around 0.27*U . What am i wrongfully assuming or calculating?

Physics news on Phys.org
itchy8me said:
Now i tried to calculate this a different way, but i could not get it to work. I thought it was logically equivalent to adding the components, but it is not working. Maybe someone could shed some light on my fallacies.

I haven't read all the details of your work, but In general, [itex] \int {(f(x) + g(x))^2 dx} [/itex] is not equal to [itex] \int {f^2(x) dx} + \int {g^2(x) dx} [/itex]. So you can't compute the RMS by expressing a wave as a sum of arbitrary components. You must choose the components to be orthogonal functions .

Related to RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid.

1. What is the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid?

The RMS (Root Mean Square) value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid is equal to the amplitude of the sinusoidal signal divided by the square root of 2.

2. How is the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid calculated?

The RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared values of the signal over one period. This can be simplified to the amplitude of the sinusoid divided by the square root of 2.

3. What does the RMS value represent in a fully rectified clamped sinusoid?

The RMS value represents the equivalent DC voltage that would produce the same amount of heat or power dissipation in a resistor as the fully rectified clamped sinusoidal signal.

4. How is the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid different from other RMS values?

The RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid is different from other RMS values because it takes into account the effects of the clamping diodes, which cause the signal to have a non-zero average value. This is in contrast to a pure sinusoidal signal, where the RMS value is equal to the peak amplitude divided by the square root of 2.

5. Why is the RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid important?

The RMS value of a fully rectified clamped sinusoid is important because it is used to calculate the power dissipation in a circuit with clamping diodes. It is also used in power calculations for AC circuits that involve rectification and smoothing to DC, such as in power supplies. Additionally, it is a more accurate representation of the true power of a signal compared to just using the peak amplitude.