Rocket Kinematics: Acceleration and Maximum Altitude

In summary, to determine the acceleration of a rocket so that its equipment can be designed to survive, you must consider two phases of flight: Phase 1 with a constant acceleration during a 30-second burn time, and Phase 2 with free fall after the fuel is exhausted. The total flight time is 300 seconds. To calculate the acceleration in Phase 1, use the equation x = 1/2at^2. In Phase 2, the rocket reaches a maximum altitude before hitting the ground, and the final velocity can be calculated using the equation V = V0 + at. After setting the final position to 0 and solving for a, the acceleration is found to be 41.8 m/s^2.
caveman127

Homework Statement

You must determine the acceleration of a rocket so that its equipment can be designed to survive. The rocket will have a burn time of t = 30 seconds, during which time it flies has a constant acceleration a. Call this Phase 1. After the fuel is exhausted the rocket enters free fall. Call this Phase 2. The total flight time is 300s.

a) what should you make the acceleration of the rocket a when the engine is on?
b)what is the maximum altitude of the rocket

//So I don't even know where to start or what part a is asking. What is the condition for the equipment to survive?

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think none of the equipment survives at the end of the free-fall phase, when t= 300s--so don't worry about that.

Yeah that is what I figured as well, but this doesn't really help me solve the question haha.

So you have two phases where the acceleration is constant, but different. You need to come up with 2 distinct [edit: sets of] equations, each describing the 2 time segments. A third equation might relate the 2 time segments to the total flight time.

Last edited:
Hmm okay so...
using x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2 for phase one i find that x = 1/2a(30)^2

Phase two I know it hits ground so final x is 0. The inital x for this phase is x from phase 1 so...

-x = V0(270s) - 1/2(g)(270)^2

V0 is the final velocity for phase 1.

V = V0 + at => phase 2 V0 = a30.

Inputing for V0 and -X in phase two I got:
-.5(a)(30^2) = a(30)(270) - (.5)(9.8)(270^2)

Solving for a I got... 41.8 m/s^2 for part a.

Does this look valid?

Yes, actually!

Thank you very much for your help! :)

1. What is rocket kinematics and why is it important?

Rocket kinematics is the study of the motion and movement of a rocket. It is important because it helps us understand how rockets move and allows us to predict their behavior and performance.

2. What are the main factors that affect a rocket's kinematics?

The main factors that affect a rocket's kinematics are thrust, weight, and air resistance. Thrust is the force that propels the rocket forward, weight is the force of gravity pulling the rocket down, and air resistance is the force of air pushing against the rocket as it moves through the atmosphere.

3. How is rocket kinematics different from regular kinematics?

Rocket kinematics is different from regular kinematics because it involves the added complexity of dealing with a moving object that is also expelling mass (fuel) in one direction to create thrust in the opposite direction. This makes the calculations and equations more complex and requires the use of specialized principles such as conservation of momentum.

4. How do you calculate the velocity and acceleration of a rocket?

The velocity and acceleration of a rocket can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the rocket's initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and any additional forces such as air resistance. These equations can be solved using calculus or numerical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of rocket kinematics?

Rocket kinematics has many real-world applications, including designing and optimizing rocket engines and trajectories for space exploration, calculating the performance of missiles and other military weapons, and predicting the behavior of rockets used in commercial and recreational activities such as fireworks displays and model rocket launches.