Rolling ball in a enclosed cone problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball rolling inside a rubber coated cone, where the ball reaches speed and climbs up to the cone base, and continues to roll if the speed is maintained. The cone is grounded and the ball cannot fall outside of it due to the closed base. The individual is seeking an understanding of the mathematics and physics behind this motion, specifically the effects of gravity and the forces involved. A related problem involving a cylinder is also mentioned. The solution involves visualizing the points of contact and the center of mass of the ball, as well as considering the forces of gravity and centrifugal force acting on the ball. The cone must be strong enough to counteract these forces.
MarkoM27
Hello , I am new here , and at start id like to say that i`m lousy at formulas and math :) . I've been searching and googled my problem and i couldn't find any solution to it . So here it is. Ball and a cone are rubber coated .Ball is rolling inside enclosed cone, when ball reaches speed it will climb up to cone base, and continue to roll if speed is maintained. It will not fall down and roll on 2 friction points. Cone is grounded and stationary. Ball will continue to roll inside a cone but it will not be able to fall outside it because its closed at base . Id like to know mathematics and physics behind this motion. What effects has gravity on it and what forces are acting in this motion. I have one lousy picture i hope someone will post a solution to this problem . Cheers and question everything :) http://postimg.org/image/62o1tlrzl/

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to visualize two points of interest, the point of contact between the ball and the cone and the center of mass of the ball.

You also need to visualize, say, x and y-axis like the Cartesian one, but place the x-axis parallel to the surface of the cone and let the origin be also at the center of the ball.

First, we have gravity acting on the center of mass of the ball...this force is pointing straight down but it can be represented by its two orthogonal components along the x-y axis. The x component (Gx) wants to roll the ball down along the inside wall of the cone. The y component (Gy) pushes it against the cone inner surface.

The there is centrifugal force acting on the center of mass of the ball...this force is horizontal and pulling radially out and can be represented by its two orthogonal components along the x-y axis. The x component (Cx) wants to roll the ball up along the inside wall of the cone; under the conditions described, this force equals Gx and, thus, the ball does not roll up or down. The y component (Cy) pushes the ball against the cone inner surface.

The cone needs to be strong enough to counter act Gy+Cy.

Hope this helps

1. What is the Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem?

The Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem is a classic physics experiment where a ball is placed inside a cone and allowed to roll down. The goal is to determine the relationship between the angle of the cone and the distance the ball travels before coming to a stop.

2. What are the factors that affect the Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem?

The main factors that affect the Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem are the angle of the cone, the size and shape of the ball, and the surface of the cone and ball. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

3. How does the angle of the cone affect the distance the ball travels?

The angle of the cone has a direct impact on the distance the ball travels. As the angle increases, the distance the ball travels decreases. This is because a steeper angle creates a greater slope, causing the ball to roll slower and come to a stop sooner.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the cone and the speed of the ball?

The angle of the cone is inversely proportional to the speed of the ball. This means that as the angle of the cone increases, the speed of the ball decreases. This is due to the increase in potential energy at steeper angles, which is converted into kinetic energy as the ball rolls down the cone.

5. How does friction affect the Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem?

Friction plays a significant role in the Rolling Ball in an Enclosed Cone Problem. It can slow down the ball and reduce the distance it travels. The type of surface the cone and ball are made of can also affect the amount of friction present. A rougher surface will create more friction, while a smoother surface will create less.