Height to which rolling ball rises on a surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the heights h1 and h2 for a ball moving without sliding on a horizontal surface. The intuitive answer suggests that h1 < h2 due to friction, but this is questioned when considering pure rolling. The idea of conserving energy is brought up, but the role of friction in this concept is unclear. It is noted that the rate of rotation decreases as the ball climbs the curve, indicating that friction is in the forward direction. It is suggested that friction helps with translational motion and that h1 > h2. The conversation then delves into the mathematical approach of finding the heights, with different methods being proposed but confusion still remaining. Eventually, it is concluded that the initial and final rotational
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
1. The problem
A ball moves without sliding on a horizontal surface. It ascends a curved track upto height h and returns. Value of h is h1 for sufficient rough curved track to avoid sliding and is h2 for smooth curved track, then how are h1 and h2 related (greater, lesser, equal or multiplied by some integral factor)?

2. Intuitive answer and attempt at solving mathematically
My first intuition was that friction would hinder translational motion and therefore h1<h2 but then I wondered if the ball is in puring rolling before, it would continue to do so regardless of the surface and so h1 might be equal to h2. I tried conserving energy but friction is present in one case, and even though the work done by friction will be zero I can't figure out how to find both mathematically.

P.S. the answer given is h1>h2

Physics news on Phys.org
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
intuition was that friction would hinder translational motion
Is the rate of rotation increasing or decreasing as it climbs the curve? What does that tell you about the direction of the friction?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I tried conserving energy but friction is present in one case, and even though the work done by friction will be zero I can't figure out how to find both mathematically.
If the work done by friction is zero, how does it affect the conservation of energy?

Orodruin said:
If the work done by friction is zero, how does it affect the conservation of energy?
I wanted to apply the work energy theorem, but that got me confused too

haruspex said:
Is the rate of rotation increasing or decreasing as it climbs the curve? What does that tell you about the direction of the friction?
it is decreasing, to maintain pure rolling as v decreases...therefore friction must be in the forward direction- am I right?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
it is decreasing, to maintain pure rolling as v decreases...therefore friction must be in the forward direction- am I right?
that'd mean friction helps the translatory motion and so h1>h2.
How do I find the heights mathematically though, I wrote 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2=mgh2 (conserving energy for h2) but I don't know how to find h1

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
that'd mean friction helps the translatory motion and so h1>h2.
How do I find the heights mathematically though, I wrote 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2=mgh2 (conserving energy for h2) but I don't know how to find h1
If I apply work-energy theorem I get h1=h2, I wrote change in KE as 1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2 =mgh1, since only g is doing work on it and KE at top is 0. This is why I'm confused as to where I'm going wrong

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2=mgh2 (conserving energy for h2)
What is the final rotation rate in the h2 case?
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
1/2 Iw^2 + 1/2 mv^2 =mgh1
Right.

haruspex said:
What is the final rotation rate in the h2 case?

Right.
in the h2 case, there is no torque for rolling rate to change, but g is decreasing v- the ball will stop pure rolling then and start sliding?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
in the h2 case, there is no torque for rolling rate to change
So what rotational energy remains?

haruspex said:
So what rotational energy remains?
ohh...so initial and final rotational energies are the same, only linear kinetic energy will convert to h- therefore 1/2 mv^2=mgh2. (The difference between visualizing rolling and spinning just became clear to me, Thanks)
is that correct?

Last edited:
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
ohh...so initial and final rotational energies are the same, only linear kinetic energy will convert to h- therefore 1/2 mv^2=mgh2. (The difference between visualizing rolling and spinning just became clear to me, Thanks)
is that correct?
Right.

haruspex said:
Right.
Thanks a lot :D

1. How does the height of a rolling ball on a surface relate to its initial speed?

The height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface is directly proportional to its initial speed. This means that the higher the initial speed, the higher the ball will roll up the surface.

2. What factors affect the height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface?

The height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface is affected by the initial speed of the ball, the angle of the surface, and the coefficient of friction between the ball and the surface.

3. Can the height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface be greater than its initial height?

Yes, it is possible for the height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface to be greater than its initial height. This can happen if the surface is angled upwards and the initial speed of the ball is high enough.

4. How does the height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface change with different surface materials?

The height to which a rolling ball rises on a surface can vary depending on the surface material. Surfaces with a higher coefficient of friction will cause the ball to rise to a lower height, while surfaces with a lower coefficient of friction will allow the ball to roll higher.

5. Is there a limit to the height that a rolling ball can reach on a surface?

Yes, there is a limit to the height that a rolling ball can reach on a surface. This limit is determined by the initial speed of the ball, the angle of the surface, and the coefficient of friction between the ball and the surface.