Rolling without slipping and coefficient of friction

In summary: The force of friction is 5.34N and the angle is 33.0. The coefficient of friction is the minimum value at the equilibrium of the two forces. The force of friction is the greater of the friction force and the mass of the object.
henry3369

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell with mass 2.50kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 33.0 with the horizontal.
Find the minimum coefficient of friction μ needed to prevent the spherical shell from slipping as it rolls down the slope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found force of friction = 5.34N.

It seems that I can get the minimum by setting force of friction = μN
So:
5.34 = μmgcos(Θ)

What I don't understand is why this is the minimum of coefficient of friction. How can one assume that this value is the minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping?

Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell with mass 2.50kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 33.0 with the horizontal.
Find the minimum coefficient of friction μ needed to prevent the spherical shell from slipping as it rolls down the slope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found force of friction = 5.34N.

How did you get that value?

henry3369 said:
It seems that I can get the minimum by setting force of friction = μN
So:
5.34 = μmgcos(Θ)

What I don't understand is why this is the minimum of coefficient of friction. How can one assume that this value is the minimum coefficient of friction to prevent slipping?
During rolling, it is the force of static friction that prevents slipping, (relative motion of the surfaces in contact). The static friction is not a defined value. It has an upper limit μN: F(static) ≤ μN.

You get the minimun coefficient at the equilibrium of two forces: one which accelerates the sphere down the plane with a reduct acceleration, the other which exists only as rection to the first, that is the friction force.
So first calculate the force with "reducted" g and then let it equal to the friction force.
I can anticipate you that when you'll simplified the two member of the equation to obtain the result, you will discovered that the coefficient is function only of the angle and not of the mass or the forces.
The minimun means only that it is enough to keep the mass motionless, and then the force that accelerate it should be greater of the friction force.
Verify the calculate: I obtain for the force a different value...

1. What is rolling without slipping?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion where a body, such as a wheel or a ball, moves forward without sliding or slipping on the surface it is rolling on.

2. How is rolling without slipping different from rolling with slipping?

In rolling without slipping, the point of contact between the rolling body and the surface has zero velocity, while in rolling with slipping, the point of contact has a non-zero velocity.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is used to calculate the force required to move one surface over the other.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect rolling without slipping?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining whether rolling without slipping is possible or not. If the coefficient of friction is high enough, the rolling body will be able to move forward without slipping. However, if the coefficient of friction is too low, the body will start to slip and roll with slipping instead.

5. What are some real-life examples of rolling without slipping?

Some examples of rolling without slipping include a car moving on a road, a ball rolling on a flat surface, and a bicycle wheel rolling on the ground. These motions all involve the rolling body moving forward without slipping or sliding on the surface it is rolling on.