Rope ascension using stored spring energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a capacitive approach for a rope ascender and the potential for using torsion springs to store energy. The target specs for the system are 350 lbs at 5 ft/s, with a desired output of 300 watts for 10 seconds. However, after further calculations, it is determined that this may not be feasible.
jgeating
Just looked at a video of the atlas rope ascender (google it) and thought it was pretty cool. However, I feel as though using a more "capacitive" approach and taking advantage of the fact that ascensions would not occur frequently could allow for the use of a system that slowly recharges over time, either using capacitors or stored mechanical energy (springs). Unless I am missing something, I imagine capacitors would require large DC motors still. Going to a small, light system, are there any torsion springs that can store large amounts of continuous energy, possibly put some in series or parallel. Essentially, like a huge watch spring able to output ~500-1500 watts for a few seconds.

Some target specs:
350 lbs at 5 ft/s ~ 300 watts, but this seems questionably low to me. If this is right, at 50% efficiency, I imagine 600 watts would be an absolute minimum.

Shooting for 50 feet, 10 seconds * 300 watts = 3 kJ of energy. Is this even ballpark feasible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jgeating said:
Some target specs:
350 lbs at 5 ft/s ~ 300 watts, but this seems questionably low to me. If this is right, at 50% efficiency, I imagine 600 watts would be an absolute minimum.

Shooting for 50 feet, 10 seconds * 300 watts = 3 kJ of energy. Is this even ballpark feasible?

jgeating,

Your power conversion is incorrect:

1 HP = 550 ft*lbf/s
1 HP = 746 watts

350 lbf at 5 ft/s
= 1750 ft*lbf/s
= 3.18 HP
= 2370 watts

yeah, that did seam really low, and I did it really quickly. After doing a little more research, it really just doesn't seem that feasible.

Related to Rope ascension using stored spring energy

1. How does rope ascension using stored spring energy work?

Rope ascension using stored spring energy works by using a spring-loaded device that is attached to the rope. When the user pulls down on the rope, the spring compresses and stores potential energy. When the user releases the rope, the stored energy is released and causes the rope to ascend.

2. What are the advantages of using rope ascension with stored spring energy?

One advantage is that it requires less physical effort from the user compared to traditional rope ascension methods. It also allows for more efficient and faster ascents as the stored energy can be released in a controlled manner.

3. Are there any safety concerns with rope ascension using stored spring energy?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when using this method. The spring-loaded device should be regularly inspected and maintained to prevent any malfunctions. It is also recommended to have a backup safety system in place.

4. Can rope ascension using stored spring energy be used for heavy loads?

Yes, this method can be used for heavy loads as long as the spring-loaded device is designed and rated for the weight and the rope is strong enough to support the load. However, it is important to consider the added strain and wear on the equipment when using it for heavier loads.

5. Are there any limitations to rope ascension using stored spring energy?

One limitation is that the spring-loaded device may not be suitable for use in certain environments, such as extreme temperatures or wet conditions. It is also important to ensure that the rope is properly secured and tensioned to prevent any slippages or malfunctions during ascent.