Rosé and A-M: Geometrization of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, this paper was mentioned by selfAdjoint in another thread. People there seemed to think it should be studied/discussed so maybe this paper should have its own thread, besides being included in our list of new QG/matter ideas. Differential Structures - the Geometrization of Quantum Mechanics was discussed. The paper is 13 pages long and has 2 figures. The authors state that matter is the transition between reference frames that belong to different differential structures. The strong relation to Loop Quantum Gravity is discussed in conclusion.
Mike2 said:
OK... so... where there is acceleration, there is an Unruh temperature (for the accelerated observer) and with it an energy density and thus a mass density (for the accelerated observer) and thus a curvature according to your approach, right?
As I understand it, Torsten's efforts only apply to fermions, particles of mass. But I don't understand why it can not apply to bosons as well. Since photons have energy and energy can be equated to mass, what's the difference? What is the key point that restricts Torsten's efforts to fermions? Is it the "support" of a singularity? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike2 said:
As I understand it, Torsten's efforts only apply to fermions, particles of mass. But I don't understand why it can not apply to bosons as well. Since photons have energy and energy can be equated to mass, what's the difference? What is the key point that restricts Torsten's efforts to fermions? Is it the "support" of a singularity? Thanks.
Dear Mike,

sorry for the long time to answer your question but I was ill again.
Your question is correct and in the current version of the paper we can only state that we get fermions. But more is true...
Consieder a 3-manifold with boundary. If the boundary consists of a single compact surface we get the properties of a fermion. But if the boundary is the connected sum of two surfaces or more then we will get the properties of the bosons. Thus our approach is similar to the Crane approach via conical singularities (see gr-qc/0110060 and gr-qc/0306079).

I hope that helps.

Torsten