Rotate in spherical coordinates

In summary: Your Name]In summary, it is possible to rotate the electric field of a dipole in order to make it point in any direction. This can be achieved by using a rotation matrix after determining the angle and axis of rotation.
daudaudaudau
Hello !

In electromagnetics, the electric field of a small dipole in a spherical[tex](r,\theta,\phi)[/tex] coordinate system is
[tex]E(\theta)=A\cdot \frac{e^{-jkr}}{r}\sin(\phi)\hat\phi[/tex]

If the dipole is directed along the z-axis. (I used this geometry: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html. Sometimes [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are swapped.)

A is just a constant number.

My question is now: What if I want to know the field of a dipole, which is directed along the y-axis, or any axis? Is it possible to rotate [tex]E(\theta)[/tex] to make it point in any direction?

Cheers,
Anders

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Anders,

Thank you for your question. It is certainly possible to rotate the electric field of a dipole to make it point in any direction. This can be achieved by using the rotation matrix, which is a mathematical tool used to rotate vectors in three-dimensional space.

In order to rotate the electric field of the dipole, you would need to first determine the angle of rotation and the axis of rotation. This can be done by using the conversion between spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates.

Once you have determined the angle and axis of rotation, you can use the rotation matrix to rotate the electric field vector. The resulting vector will then be pointing in the desired direction.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please let me know.

Related to Rotate in spherical coordinates

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a coordinate system commonly used in mathematics and physics to locate points in three-dimensional space. They use two angles, typically represented as θ (theta) and φ (phi), and a distance from the origin to define a point.

2. How does rotation work in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, rotation is achieved by changing the values of θ and φ. To rotate a point around the z-axis, we can change the value of θ. To rotate a point around the x or y-axis, we can change the value of φ.

3. What is the difference between rotation in spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, rotation is described using angles, while in Cartesian coordinates, rotation is described using coordinates along the x, y, and z axes. Additionally, the rotation matrix for spherical coordinates has different values than the rotation matrix for Cartesian coordinates.

4. Can you rotate a vector in spherical coordinates?

Yes, you can rotate a vector in spherical coordinates by applying a rotation matrix to the vector's coordinates. The resulting vector will have new values for θ and φ, representing the rotated direction.

5. How does the order of rotations affect the final orientation in spherical coordinates?

The order of rotations in spherical coordinates does not matter, as long as the same angles are used. This is known as commutativity, meaning the order of operations does not affect the final result. However, the order of rotations does matter in Cartesian coordinates.