Rotating Disk and Hanging Mass Calcululations

In summary, the conversation discusses using equations to solve for tension, torque, inertia, and angular acceleration. The trendline equation y=0.000047x-0.000885 is used to calculate inertia, but there is confusion about which inertia formula should be used. The suggestion is made to use the formula that relates moment of inertia to angular acceleration and torque. Clarification is requested on the units being used.
badger1999
Homework Statement
Was not given mass of disk. For some background, this lab consisted of attaching a mass (m1) onto a disk using a string. We would roll the string upwards then release the mass and record the acceleration. Following that, we are to calculate the tension of the string, angular acceleration, net torque on the wheel, and inertia. We then graph a Torque vs. Angular acceleration and use that to get the inertia. Below is an image of the system.

My trendline equation is y=0.000047x-0.000885 How do I use the trendline equation to get inertia without using the inertia formula?
Relevant Equations
angular acceleration = accerleration/radius
Tension=mg-ma
Torque=Tension*radius
Inertia=Torque/angular acceleration

I used the above equations to solve for tension, torque, inertia, and angular acceleration.
Are the formulas I used correct for the given system?
How can I calculate Inertia from the trendline equation, I'm drawing a blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
badger1999 said:
My trendline equation is y=0.000047x-0.000885
Since you know the angular acceleration must be zero when the torque is zero, you can use a regression method which forces the line through the origin.
badger1999 said:
How do I use the trendline equation to get inertia without using the inertia formula?
Which inertia formula do you mean?
You clearly have to use the formula which relates moment of inertia to angular acceleration and torque. If you were told not to use "the" moment of inertia formula that probably referred to deriving it from mass and radius.

Edit: you do not state your units. That 0.000047 sounds extremely small. Can you post your table of results?

1. What is the purpose of calculating the rotational disk and hanging mass?

The purpose of calculating the rotational disk and hanging mass is to understand the relationship between rotational motion and the forces acting on an object. This calculation is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the dynamics of rotating systems.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating disk?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating disk, you need to know the mass of the disk, its radius, and the axis of rotation. The formula for moment of inertia is I = ½ * m * r^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. This value is important in determining the rotational acceleration of the disk.

3. What factors affect the rotational acceleration of a disk?

The rotational acceleration of a disk is affected by several factors, including the mass of the disk, its moment of inertia, and the torque applied to it. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the moment of inertia and the slower the acceleration will be. Similarly, a larger torque will result in a faster acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the tension in the string for a hanging mass on a rotating disk?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation T = m * (R * ω)^2, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the hanging object, R is the radius of the disk, and ω is the angular velocity of the disk. This formula takes into account the centripetal force required to keep the object in circular motion.

5. Can these calculations be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, these calculations can be applied to real-world situations. For example, they can be used to analyze the dynamics of a spinning wheel or a rotating machine part. They are also important in designing and understanding the performance of vehicles and other mechanical systems that involve rotation.