Rotating Flywheel: Tips & Tricks for Beginners

In summary, the conversation is about including units when solving a problem in physics. One person reminds the other to always include units as it is a good way to check if the solution is correct. The other person acknowledges this and mentions that they will try to make it a habit.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out torque from rotating flywheel
Relevant Equations
Rotational equivalent of SUVAT equations
Torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration
Hey everyone!

Was trying to answer this question and was wondering if this was the right way to go about it?

Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 14.27.51.png

IMG_3531.JPG

Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good.

Just remember to include units (I know it's a pain but as a "pseudo-physicist" I had to point it out.). Usually, including units throughout the entire problem is a good way to check if the solution is correct. If the units cancel out as desired, then your solution should be correct (unless you made some silly arithmetic mistake).

Likes Bolter
KDPhysics said:
Sounds good.

Just remember to include units (I know it's a pain but as a "pseudo-physicist" I had to point it out.). Usually, including units throughout the entire problem is a good way to check if the solution is correct. If the units cancel out as desired, then your solution should be correct (unless you made some silly arithmetic mistake).

Ok thanks, I'll try to do that more often until it becomes second nature. It's not that I don't want to add units but always forget to :rolleyes:

Yeah... I feel you. You'll get used to it after a while.

Related to Rotating Flywheel: Tips & Tricks for Beginners

1. What is a rotating flywheel and how does it work?

A rotating flywheel is a mechanical device used to store rotational energy. It consists of a heavy disk or wheel that is connected to a shaft, which rotates at a constant speed. The flywheel works by converting kinetic energy into potential energy and vice versa, thus providing a steady source of power for a variety of applications.

2. What are the benefits of using a rotating flywheel?

Rotating flywheels have several benefits, including energy storage, power smoothing, and rotational inertia. They can be used to store excess energy from renewable sources, such as wind or solar power, and release it when needed. Flywheels can also help regulate the speed of a mechanical system, reducing wear and tear on components. Additionally, flywheels can provide a stable source of power in situations where the power supply is unreliable.

3. How do I choose the right rotating flywheel for my application?

The right flywheel for your application will depend on several factors, including the amount of energy you need to store, the speed and torque requirements, and the available space. It is best to consult with a professional engineer who can help determine the appropriate size and type of flywheel for your specific needs.

4. What are some tips for maintaining a rotating flywheel?

To ensure the optimal performance and longevity of a rotating flywheel, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain it. This includes monitoring the bearings, lubricating moving parts, and checking for any signs of wear or damage. It is also essential to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and procedures.

5. Can a rotating flywheel be used in electric vehicles?

Yes, rotating flywheels can be utilized in electric vehicles to provide extra power and improve energy efficiency. In these applications, the flywheel is used as a regenerative braking system, capturing kinetic energy during braking and converting it into electrical energy to be stored and used later. This can help extend the range of electric vehicles and reduce their environmental impact.