Rotation of body in stregth of materials problem

In summary, a uniform bar of length 2l is rotated in a horizontal plane about its mid-point with an angular velocity ω. The problem must be reduced to a statics problem by the application of d'Alembert's principle. Centrifugal forces act on the bar, and the stress and displacement are plotted against the radial distance from the center. The maximum stress and maximum displacement are found by solving for σmax and Emax, respectively. Thank you for your help.
Chacabucogod

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of length 2l is rotated in a horizontal plane about its mid-point as center with an angular velocity ω. This case must be reduced to a problem in statics by the application of d'Alembert's principle, the "forces" acting being "centrifugal" forces.

a) Plot the stress distribution and the elastic displacement against the radial distance from the center, and derive formulae for the maximum stress and the maximum displacement.

ANS:[itex]\frac{γω^2}{2g}(l^2-r^2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]F=m*\frac{v^2}{r}=m*ω^2*r[/itex]
P=[itex]\frac{F}{A}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin or how to continue

Physics news on Phys.org
Chacabucogod said:

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of length 2l is rotated in a horizontal plane about its mid-point as center with an angular velocity ω. This case must be reduced to a problem in statics by the application of d'Alembert's principle, the "forces" acting being "centrifugal" forces.

a) Plot the stress distribution and the elastic displacement against the radial distance from the center, and derive formulae for the maximum stress and the maximum displacement.

ANS:[itex]\frac{γω^2}{2g}(l^2-r^2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]F=m*\frac{v^2}{r}=m*ω^2*r[/itex]
P=[itex]\frac{F}{A}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin or how to continue
Let ρ represent the density of the bar. How much mass dm is contained in the region of the bar between r and r + dr? What is the tension in the bar at location r = l ?

Chet

The mass between r and dr will be

[tex]dm=4πρlrdr[/tex]

The force at l will be

[tex]F=mω^2l[/tex]

I'll try to see if I can come up with something using what you just told me.

Thank you

Chacabucogod said:
The mass between r and dr will be

[tex]dm=4πρlrdr[/tex]

Actually, the differential mass between r and r + dr will be
[tex]dm=ρAdr[/tex]
where A is the cross sectional area of the rod and Adr is the differential volume of the rod contained between r and r + dr.

The force at l will be
[tex]F=mω^2l[/tex]

No. Actually, the tension in the rod at r = l will be zero, since the rod is not contacting anything at that location.

Draw a free body diagram of the differential section of rod situated between r and r + dr. Call F(r) the tension in the rod as a function of r. What is the force acting on the surface of the differential element at r + dr, and in which direction does it point? What is the force acting on the surface of the differential element at r, and in which direction does it point? What is the mass times acceleration of the differential element, and in which direction does it point? Write down your force balance equation for the differential element.

Chet

2 Things:

The cross sectional area would be: 2*pi*r*2l no?

If a point mass is rotating about a point a distance l wouldn't the centripetal force be the F that I just mentioned?

Thank you

No. In this problem, r is not the distance from the axis of the cylinder. See the problem statement. r is measured along the length of the cylinder from its midpoint.

Regarding the force, your equation would be correct only if all the mass is concentrated at a point. However, in this problem, the mass is distributed along the length, and different parts of the rod are experiencing different accelerations. You need to take this into account.

Chet

So you are telling me that the rod is rotating over a plane and not on its own axis? That's not how I understood it.

Thank you.

NVM now I get it.

So from the side nearest to the midpoint the force is [itex]mω^2r[/itex] and farther there is [itex]mω^2(r+dr)[/itex] right?

Chacabucogod said:
So from the side nearest to the midpoint the force is [itex]mω^2r[/itex] and farther there is [itex]mω^2(r+dr)[/itex] right?
No. From the side nearest the midpoint, it's F(r), and farther there is F(r+dr). Now, what is the differential mass times acceleration?

Chet

Rho*a*dr*centripetal acceleration right?

Would this be the sum of forces on an element dr?

[tex]-ρAdr(ω^2r)+ρAdr(ω^2(r+dr))[/tex]

you end up with a Rho*...*dr^2 which I imagine you won't take into account and it will work right?

Chacabucogod said:
Would this be the sum of forces on an element dr?

[tex]-ρAdr(ω^2r)+ρAdr(ω^2(r+dr))[/tex]

you end up with a Rho*...*dr^2 which I imagine you won't take into account and it will work right?
Nope. The force balance I get is:

##F(r+dr)-F(r)=-ρAdr(ω^2r)##

or equivalently:

[tex]\frac{dF}{dr}=-ρAω^2r[/tex]

See what you get when you integrate this between arbitrary r and r = l.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Alright! Now I understand it! Thank you for your help and patience.

Related to Rotation of body in stregth of materials problem

1. What is the definition of rotation in the context of strength of materials?

Rotation in the context of strength of materials refers to the movement of a rigid body around a fixed axis. This can occur when a force is applied to one end of the body, causing it to rotate around the fixed axis.

2. How does rotation affect the strength of a material?

Rotation can affect the strength of a material by causing internal stresses and strains within the material. These stresses and strains can lead to deformations and failure of the material if it is not strong enough to withstand the rotational forces.

3. What is the difference between torsion and bending in terms of rotation?

Torsion and bending are both forms of rotation, but they differ in the direction of the applied force. Torsion involves a twisting force along the longitudinal axis of a body, while bending involves a force applied perpendicular to the longitudinal axis.

4. How do I calculate the amount of rotation in a strength of materials problem?

To calculate the amount of rotation in a strength of materials problem, you will need to use equations that relate the applied forces, material properties, and geometry of the body. These equations can vary depending on the type of rotation (i.e. torsion, bending) and the specific problem at hand.

5. What factors can affect the amount of rotation in a strength of materials problem?

The amount of rotation in a strength of materials problem can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the material properties (e.g. stiffness, yield strength), and the geometry of the body (e.g. length, cross-sectional area). Friction and other external forces may also play a role in determining the amount of rotation.