Rotational ACC and Gravitational ACC

In summary: Your equations are fine, you just need to be careful how you interpret them. For example,a = rαif you define upwards acceleration as positive, then you'll get a positive α from this equation. This means the cylinder is rotating anticlockwise, as shown in the diagram. It means that the tension in the rope is pulling the cylinder in that direction.If you define upwards acceleration as negative, then you'll get a negative α from this equation. This means the cylinder is rotating clockwise. This is the opposite direction to what we saw before, so the tension in the rope is pulling the cylinder in the opposite direction.Either way, the equations are consistent, you just need to be consistent
DameLight
solved thank you : )
1. Homework Statement

A bucket of water of mass 14.2 kg is suspended by a rope wrapped around a windlass, that is a solid cylinder with diameter 0.350 m with mass 12.8 kg . The cylinder pivots on a frictionless axle through its center. The bucket is released from rest at the top of a well and falls a distance 10.7 m to the water. You can ignore the weight of the rope.

no friction
m =14.2 kg
r = 1/2 0.350 m
M = 12.8 kg
Δy = 10.7 m
g = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

t = Iα
F = ma
I = 1/2 mr2
a = rα

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the tension in the rope while the bucket is falling?[/B]

F = ma
the sum of the forces in the y direction for the bucket is (T - mg) so
T - mg = ma
T = ma + mg

a is unknown

t = F x r = Iα
since the string is pulling on the windlass and its mass is negligible (F = T) so
t = T x r = Iα
I = 1/2 Mr2
substitute this into the equation and simplify (did this for a previous question without values to find α)
T = 1/2 Mrα

set equations 1 and 2 equal to each other and solve for a
ma + mg = 1/2 Mrα
ma = 1/2 Mrα - mg

α is unknown

a = -rα
α = -a/r
substitute into equation 3
ma = 1/2 Mr(-a/r) - mg
ma = -1/2 Ma - mg
ma + 1/2 Ma = - mg
a(m + 1/2 M) = - mg
a = - (mg)/(m + 1/2 M)
a = - (14.2 kg*9.8 m/s2)/(14.2 kg + 1/2*12.8 kg)
a = - 6.76 m/s2

substitute back into equation 1
T = ma + mg
T = 14.2 kg* -6.76 m/s2 + 14.2 kg*9.8 m/s2
T = 43.17 N

This is the correct answer : ) thank you for your help

conclusion:
reason for mistake,
1. sign mistake in ( T = ma - mg ) fixed to ( T = ma + mg )
2. a = -rα ; the sign conventions for this equation were wrong. I didn't really understand this equation, so I will study it more so that I don't make this mistake again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DameLight said:

Homework Statement

A bucket of water of mass 14.2 kg is suspended by a rope wrapped around a windlass, that is a solid cylinder with diameter 0.350 m with mass 12.8 kg . The cylinder pivots on a frictionless axle through its center. The bucket is released from rest at the top of a well and falls a distance 10.7 m to the water. You can ignore the weight of the rope.

no friction
m =14.2 kg
r = 1/2 0.350 m
M = 12.8 kg
Δy = 10.7 m
g = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

t = Iα
F = ma
I = 1/2 mr2
a = rα

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the tension in the rope while the bucket is falling?[/B]

F = ma
the sum of the forces in the y direction for the bucket is (T - mg) so
T - mg = ma
T = ma - mg ##\ \ \ ## There is a sign error here.

a is unknown

t = F x r = Iα
since the string is pulling on the windlass and its mass is negligible (F = T) so
t = T x r = Iα
I = 1/2 Mr2
substitute this into the equation and simplify (did this for a previous question without values to find α)
T = 1/2 Mrα

set equations 1 and 2 equal to each other and solve for a
ma - mg = 1/2 Mrα
ma = 1/2 Mrα + mg

α is unknown

a = rα
α = a/r
substitute into equation 3
ma = 1/2 Mr(a/r) + mg
ma = 1/2 Ma + mg
ma - 1/2 Ma = mg
a(m - 1/2 M) = mg
a = (mg)/(m - 1/2 M)
a = (14.2 kg*9.8 m/s2)/(14.2 kg - 1/2*12.8 kg)
a = 17.84 m/s2

substitute back into equation 1
T = ma - mg
T = 14.2 kg*17.84 m/s2 - 14.2 kg*9.8 m/s2
T = 114.17 N

This is wrong the answer should be somewhere around 41
Check your algebra where I pointed out the sign error.

You result that says a = 17.84 m/s2 should raise a red flag .

Likes DameLight
SammyS said:
Check your algebra where I pointed out the sign error.

You result that says a = 17.84 m/s2 should raise a red flag .

I fixed the sign error but now the result is a = -17.84 instead

You've set it up so that the bucket accelerates downwards when α is positive. But you've also set it up so that downwards acceleration corresponds to a negative "a". Thus your equation should actually be α=-ar
(Or you can make downwards your positive direction, in which case you have to change the other equation to ma=mg-T, either way works.)

Likes DameLight
DameLight said:
T - mg = ma
Here you must be taking g as positive down but a as positive up.
DameLight said:
a = rα
Since a is positive up, this makes a positive α correspond to the bucket being accelerated upwards.
DameLight said:
T = 1/2 Mrα
But here a positive α correspond to the bucket accelerating downwards.

You need to lay out clearly what your sign conventions are and check your equations adhere to them.

Likes DameLight
haruspex said:
Here you must be taking g as positive down but a as positive up.

Should I have put a as negative? I didn't assign it a sign since I didn't know the direction.

DameLight said:
Should I have put a as negative? I didn't assign it a sign since I didn't know the direction.
You don't need to predict the sign of the answer. Just adopt a convention as to which way is positive, which way is negative, and stick to it. If you define up as positive and get a negative answer then that just means the actual answer is downwards.
To help with the discussion, I'm going to assume we're looking at the cylinder end-on, with the rope hanging from the right hand side.
In the present case, if you define up as positive for a then it would be consistent to define anticlockwise as positive for α.
Now, you don't have to do that, you just need to be careful how you write the equations. So, if we take up as positive for a but clockwise as positive for α then the rotational acceleration is given by a = -rα. But you are less likely to go wrong if you choose your sign conventions consistently.

Likes DameLight
Try this:
have the bucket at an arbitrary constant speed (say 10 m/s)
calculate the KE of both the bucket and the windlass cylinder at this speed
give the windlass an effective linear mass by comparing the KE's

1. What is rotational acceleration (Rotational ACC)?

Rotational acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is a measure of the change in rotational speed or direction of an object.

2. What is gravitational acceleration (Gravitational ACC)?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a measure of the change in an object's velocity towards the center of a massive body, such as Earth.

3. How are rotational acceleration and gravitational acceleration related?

Rotational acceleration and gravitational acceleration are related through the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque applied to an object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This equation shows that the torque applied to an object can result in a change in its rotational acceleration, which is affected by the object's moment of inertia and the force of gravity acting on it.

4. What are some real-world examples of rotational acceleration and gravitational acceleration?

Real-world examples of rotational acceleration include a spinning top, a figure skater performing a spin, or a car making a turn. Gravitational acceleration is experienced by objects falling towards the Earth, the orbit of a satellite around a planet, or the rotation of a galaxy.

5. How do scientists measure rotational acceleration and gravitational acceleration?

Scientists measure rotational acceleration using instruments such as gyroscopes or accelerometers, which can detect changes in an object's rotational speed and direction. Gravitational acceleration is typically measured using devices such as seismometers or gravimeters, which can detect changes in the force of gravity on an object.