Rotational Acceleration of an Amusement Park Carousel

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotational acceleration of an amusement park carousel as it slows down and comes to a stop. The equations used to determine the magnitude of the rotational acceleration are mentioned, and the final answer is given as -π/144rad/s^2. The conversation also briefly mentions another problem involving the acceleration of an ice cube as it falls in a hemispherical bowl. The possible answer given is 2g=19.6m/s^2, but it is suggested to always show work in detail.
kolua

Homework Statement

Moving at its maximum safe speed, an amusement park carousel takes 12 s to complete a revolution. At the end of the ride, it slows down smoothly, taking 3.5rev to come to a stop. What is the magnitude of the rotational acceleration of the carousel while it is slowing down?

Homework Equations

w2=wo2+2alpha theta

The Attempt at a Solution

plug in and get -pi/144 rad/s2 is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
or -pi2/504 s-2

Likes Daeho Ro
When it moves with maximum speed, the angular velocity is ## \omega_i = \pi / 12. ## You want to stop it within ## 3.5 ## revolution, that is ## \theta_f - \theta_i = 7\pi ## and it have to be ## \omega_f = 0. ## Then, you can get the angular acceleration, ## \alpha. ##

Daeho Ro said:
When it moves with maximum speed, the angular velocity is ## \omega_i = \pi / 12. ## You want to stop it within ## 3.5 ## revolution, that is ## \theta_f - \theta_i = 7\pi ## and it have to be ## \omega_f = 0. ## Then, you can get the angular acceleration, ## \alpha. ##
shouldn't the angular velocity be pi/6?

Likes Daeho Ro
Oh, yes I missed the factor ## 2##.

Daeho Ro said:
Oh, yes I missed the factor ## 2##.
Can you also help me check this one? You hold a small ice cube near the top edge of a hemispherical bowl of radius 100 mm. You release the cube from rest. What is the magnitude of its acceleration at the instant it reaches the bottom of the bowl? Ignore friction. is a=2g=19.6 m/s2

kolua said:
or -pi2/504 s-2
Which one?

Always show your work in detail.

What is rotational acceleration?

Rotational acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (deg/s²).

How is rotational acceleration calculated?

Rotational acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by taking the second derivative of the rotational displacement with respect to time.

What factors affect rotational acceleration?

The factors that affect rotational acceleration include the moment of inertia, the torque applied to the object, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Other factors may include the shape and mass distribution of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it.

What is the difference between rotational acceleration and linear acceleration?

Rotational acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object as it rotates around an axis, while linear acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object as it moves in a straight line. Rotational acceleration is measured in units of angular velocity, while linear acceleration is measured in units of velocity.

What are some real-life examples of rotational acceleration?

Real-life examples of rotational acceleration include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a carousel, or the movement of a Ferris wheel. Other examples may include the rotation of Earth on its axis, the spinning of a figure skater, or the rotation of a car tire.