Rotational Angular Momentum of a Bowling Ball

In summary, the problem involves a 7 kg bowling ball with a radius of 0.13 m, rolling towards you at a rate of three rotations per second. The rotational angular momentum can be calculated using the formula L = I*ω, which in this case would be (2/5)*7*(0.13)^2*(6*π/1 sec). However, the question regarding the translational angular momentum is unclear, as it seems to refer to the angular momentum about a parallel axis through the center of mass, plus the angular momentum of the entire mass moving with the same velocity as the center of mass. This may be what is known as "translational angular momentum."
KatlynEdwards

Homework Statement

A 7 kg bowling ball whose radius is 0.13 m is rolling directly toward you turning three times per second. What are the magnitude and direction of its rotational angular momentum about you? What is its translational angular momentum about you?

Homework Equations

L = r x p = r x (m*v)
L = I[tex]\omega[/tex]
L of a moving object = Lcm + Lrot

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was thinking the rotational angular momentum is L = i[tex]\omega[/tex] which is 2/5*m*r2[tex]\omega[/tex]
Which would be (2/5)*7*(0.13)2*(6*pi / 1 sec)
But I don't know how to get the translational angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Katlyn! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a pi: π :wink:)
KatlynEdwards said:
A 7 kg bowling ball whose radius is 0.13 m is rolling directly toward you turning three times per second. What are the magnitude and direction of its rotational angular momentum about you? What is its translational angular momentum about you?

But I don't know how to get the translational angular momentum.

That's a rather weird question.

I think what they mean is that when you measure the angular momentum of a body about an axis, it's the angular momentum about a parallel axis through the centre of mass, plus the angular momentum of the whole mass as if it were at the centre of mass, and moving with the same velocity as the centre of mass …

I think they're calling the second one translational angular momentum. :smile:

(Though then they must be calling the first one "the rotational angular momentum about you" when it quite clearly isn't about you :confused:)

Related to Rotational Angular Momentum of a Bowling Ball

1. What is rotational angular momentum?

Rotational angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, speed, and distance of the object from the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational angular momentum calculated?

Rotational angular momentum (L) is calculated using the equation L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia (a measure of how the mass is distributed around the axis) and ω is the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

3. How does angular momentum affect a bowling ball?

Angular momentum affects a bowling ball by determining how it will behave when it is thrown down the lane. The angular momentum of the ball will determine its speed and direction of rotation, which will in turn affect how it interacts with the pins.

4. Can the rotational angular momentum of a bowling ball be changed?

Yes, the rotational angular momentum of a bowling ball can be changed. This can be done by altering the speed at which the ball is thrown, changing the axis of rotation, or adding external forces (such as spin) to the ball.

5. How does the shape of a bowling ball affect its rotational angular momentum?

The shape of a bowling ball can affect its rotational angular momentum by changing its moment of inertia. A bowling ball with a larger moment of inertia (such as a heavier and larger ball) will have a higher rotational angular momentum compared to a ball with a smaller moment of inertia (such as a lighter and smaller ball).