Rotational Dynamics: Min Initial Velocity of Inelastic Sphere on Cubical Plate

In summary, if the sphere has an initial velocity of less than v, it will be able to impinge upon the plate and roll over it.
Mandeep Deka

Homework Statement

An inelastic uniform solid sphere of radius 'R' is sliding without rolling over a frictionless ground with a uniform velocity 'v'. A cubical plate of height r (r<R) is fixed on the ground and the sphere impinges upon the cubical plate and rolls over it. What is the minimum initial velocity 'v' of the sphere, for it to be able to impinge upon the plate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is basically confusing me is:
i. whether the sphere will show pure rolling after impinging upon the plate?
ii. will it stop its linear motion after striking? (because the sphere is said to be inelastic), but then it can't roll over the plate!
iii. if the sphere rolls then without showing pure rolling, how am i supposed to find the answer coz there will be more variables than equations?

please help me understand what actually happens!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this question, the inelastic ball, you can think of it as a clay mold, will have the a point on the ball getting stuck on the plate. And it will pivot about that point. The reason why it can pivot is because r is smaller than R, so the centre of mass of ball, which is carrying momentum, will cause a torque.

If r=R, this is no torque, since there is no distance from centre of mass to pivot. Anything after the rotation is over is not required by the question. And cannot be determined accurately anyway from the information given.

i understand that since r<R, the sphere would pivot about that point. But what will happen after that?? How will we find out the min velocity for the ball to be able to just roll over the plate??

Thats a energy conservation problem. It must have enough kinetic energy to overcome the increase of gravitation potential energy which will result in a lost of kinetic energy.

IF you say so, what velocity shall i consider the sphere to move after bumping up??
i mean, i equate the kinetic energy of the sphere initially, with the change in the gravitational potential energy plus some kinetic energy( either linear or rotational or both). What would that be then?

Related to Rotational Dynamics: Min Initial Velocity of Inelastic Sphere on Cubical Plate

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves concepts such as torque, angular velocity, and rotational inertia.

2. What is the minimum initial velocity needed for an inelastic sphere to roll on a cubical plate?

The minimum initial velocity for an inelastic sphere to roll on a cubical plate depends on the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the plate. This can be calculated using the equation v = √(5/7 * μgR), where μ is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. How does the mass of the inelastic sphere affect the minimum initial velocity?

The mass of the inelastic sphere does not have a direct effect on the minimum initial velocity needed for it to roll on a cubical plate. However, a heavier sphere may require a higher initial velocity to overcome its greater inertia.

4. Can the angle of the plate affect the minimum initial velocity?

Yes, the angle of the plate can affect the minimum initial velocity needed for the inelastic sphere to roll. This is because the angle affects the force of gravity acting on the sphere, which in turn affects its acceleration and the minimum velocity needed to overcome the force of friction.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic sphere in rotational dynamics?

An elastic sphere is one that can deform and regain its original shape, while an inelastic sphere does not regain its shape after deformation. In rotational dynamics, this affects the coefficient of restitution, which determines how much kinetic energy is lost during a collision. An elastic sphere has a higher coefficient of restitution, meaning it loses less energy during a collision compared to an inelastic sphere.