Rotational Dynamics of a solid uniform disk

In summary: However, as the ball gets further down the lane the rotation increases and it eventually approaches the speed of the center of mass.
rwx1606

Homework Statement

A solid uniform disk of mass 21.0 kg and radius 85.0 cm is at rest flat on a frictionless surface. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim. How much string has unwrapped from around the rim if the disk travels 7.3m?

The Attempt at a Solution

The amount of string unwrapped turns out to be 2x the distance traveled. I can't understand why this is so. (Conceptually) Does the disk not translate in the beginning while some amount of string is unwrapping? My gut intuition is the amount of string unwrapped equals the distance traveled by the disk. Can someone explain why this isn't so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rwx1606,

rwx1606 said:

Homework Statement

A solid uniform disk of mass 21.0 kg and radius 85.0 cm is at rest flat on a frictionless surface. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim. How much string has unwrapped from around the rim if the disk travels 7.3m?

The Attempt at a Solution

The amount of string unwrapped turns out to be 2x the distance traveled. I can't understand why this is so. (Conceptually) Does the disk not translate in the beginning while some amount of string is unwrapping? My gut intuition is the amount of string unwrapped equals the distance traveled by the disk. Can someone explain why this isn't so?

The amount of string unwrapped would be equal to the distance traveled if the disk were rolling.

However, this disk is sliding, and so that will not be true. In particular, the linear and angular accelerations will not be related by [itex]a = r \alpha[/itex]; you need to find them indepedently. Does this help?

Yes, that does help. However, what does it mean to for the disk to slide? Is the angular velocity less than the velocity of the center of mass? or is it greater than the center of mass? I know that if it's slipping then the relationship v=rw does not hold. Another related question is, does a rolling object only roll without slipping if ONLY static friction is providing the torque?

rwx1606 said:
Yes, that does help. However, what does it mean to for the disk to slide? Is the angular velocity less than the velocity of the center of mass? or is it greater than the center of mass? I know that if it's slipping then the relationship v=rw does not hold. Another related question is, does a rolling object only roll without slipping if ONLY static friction is providing the torque?

From your questions, I think there's a chance you might not understood my last post. Just to be clear, this disk is not rolling or sliding or skidding like a wheel might do; it's is sliding on its face like an air hockey puck.

So you don't need to relate the linear and angular acceleration; just draw a force diagram. Then apply Newton's law for forces, and Newton's law for torques. What do you get?

Sorry. I meant in general for a rolling object and not this particular problem with the disk.

rwx1606 said:
Sorry. I meant in general for a rolling object and not this particular problem with the disk.

In general the object can either rotate faster or slower than you would expect from [itex]v=r\omega[/itex]. An example of a faster rotation would be a race car taking off too fast. The tires can spin very fast, but the car is not moving forwards as much as you would expect from the equation.

The opposite example could be a bowling ball. At the beginning of the lane it would (normally) be rotating slower than you might expect from the equation.

Related to Rotational Dynamics of a solid uniform disk

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis. It involves concepts such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque.

2. What is a solid uniform disk?

A solid uniform disk is a circular object with a constant density and uniform mass distribution. This means that all points on the disk have the same mass and the mass is evenly distributed throughout the disk.

3. How is the moment of inertia of a solid uniform disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a solid uniform disk is calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius of the disk.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration for a solid uniform disk?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration for a solid uniform disk is given by the equation τ = I * α, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that the torque applied to a disk is directly proportional to its moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the rotational dynamics of a solid uniform disk?

The distribution of mass affects the rotational dynamics of a solid uniform disk by changing its moment of inertia. A disk with a greater concentration of mass towards the center will have a smaller moment of inertia and thus will require less torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as a disk with a more spread out mass distribution.