Rotational dynamics: Rotating rod with two attached balls about a non principal axis

In summary: Can I ask for the context of this exercise ? Is it in an introductory part for mechanics of rotation, or in a more advanced course ?In summary, the angular momentum of a particle that is attached to a rod is not going to be parallel to the rod.
Nacho_rc11
Homework Statement
The object here is a rod with two point particles attached, one to each side of the rod.
This rod has an inclination (α degrees) with respect to the vertical axis (z), but it rotates around the z axis.
Prove that Angular Momentum is not conserved with time, express Angular Momentum as a matter of time, find Torque with respect to a principal axis.
Relevant Equations
First time here, don't know what to put
Firstly I deduced that in this situation the moment of inertia I, is not going to be parallel to w.
And I calculated it as a matter of the angle, for the rod and the two point particles attached (with a mass 'm'), and the total moment of Inertia ended up being:
I=((R²*sin²α)/2)*(M/6 + m)
Being M the mass of the rod and m the mass of each ball.
Now I'm stuck, could anyone help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello nacho, :welcome: !
Nacho_rc11 said:
moment of inertia I, is not going to be parallel to w
that would be difficult: one (##\vec \omega##) is a vector (with a direction and a magnitude) and thte other is a number.

To 'Prove that Angular Momentum is not conserved with time' all you have to do is to 'express Angular Momentum as a matter function of time' so your 'don't know what to put 'is answered: you need the definition of angular momentum ##\vec L##

Likes Nacho_rc11
BvU said:
Hello nacho, :welcome: !
that would be difficult: one (##\vec \omega##) is a vector (with a direction and a magnitude) and thte other is a number.

To 'Prove that Angular Momentum is not conserved with time' all you have to do is to 'express Angular Momentum as a matter function of time' so your 'don't know what to put 'is answered: you need the definition of angular momentum ##\vec L##
Sorry, I meant that the angular momentum was not going to be parallel to 'w', I made a mistake.
Anyway, my question is how could I express mathematically this angular momentum as a function of time.
Thanks

BvU said:
you need the definition of angular momentum ##\vec L##
write it down and work it out ...

BvU said:
one (##\vec \omega##) is a vector (with a direction and a magnitude) and thte other is a number.
In a problem like this, the moment of inertia needs to be treated as a tensor.
But if unfamiliar with that, the easier way is to consider the two masses separately to start with. Each has a linear momentum, and these both lie in a tilted plane. The overall angular momentum is a vector normal to that plane.

Likes BvU
Have we lost @Nacho_rc11 ?

Can I ask for the context of this exercise ? Is it in an introductory part for mechanics of rotation, or in a more advanced course ?

I can imagine a simple case where one of the particles is on the z axis and it is clear that ##\vec L = \vec r\times \vec p ## is describing a cone.

Or are we supposed to have the z axis through the center of the rod ?

BvU said:
I can imagine a simple case where one of the particles is on the z axis and it is clear that ##\vec L = \vec r\times \vec p ## is describing a cone.

Or are we supposed to have the z axis through the center of the rod ?
Really? If one particle is on the axis, that contributes nothing, surely. So that leaves us a single particle moving in a circle. Its instantaneous velocity would give it angular momentum about a chosen axis, but not an inherent angular momentum.
I would say the axis of rotation of the rod is through its centre.

haruspex said:
I would say the axis of rotation of the rod is through its centre.
I agree. Also, this looks like an application of Euler's equations for rigid body rotation.

@Nacho_rc11 ? (Not seen since Thursday ...)

What is the full problem statement ?

Last edited:

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate or spin around a fixed axis. It involves studying the forces and torques that act on rotating objects and how they affect their motion.

2. What is a rotating rod with two attached balls about a non principal axis?

A rotating rod with two attached balls about a non principal axis refers to a physical system in which a rod with two balls attached to its ends rotates around an axis that is not perpendicular to the rod. This type of motion can result in complex and interesting dynamics.

3. What is the significance of a non principal axis in rotational dynamics?

A non principal axis in rotational dynamics refers to an axis that does not go through the center of mass of an object. It is important because it can lead to more complex and interesting rotational motion, as the forces and torques acting on the object are not aligned with the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the rotational dynamics of a rotating rod with two attached balls?

The distribution of mass in a rotating rod with two attached balls affects the rotational dynamics by influencing the moment of inertia and the location of the center of mass. Objects with a higher moment of inertia and a center of mass further from the axis of rotation will be more resistant to changes in their rotational motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics has many real-world applications, including understanding the motion of objects like spinning tops, gyroscopes, and satellites orbiting around a non-principal axis. It is also important in engineering, as it is used to design and analyze machines and structures that rotate, such as engines and turbines.