Rotational kinetic energy of particles

In summary, the system shown in the given image consists of four particles connected by rigid rods and rotating in the xy plane about the z axis at an angular speed of 5.40 rad/s. The moment of inertia of the system can be calculated by using the equation I= sum of all mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the z-axis. The rotational kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation K=.5Iw^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular speed. However, there seems to be some confusion in the provided solution, as the value of A is not clearly defined and the relation between 5.4 rad/s and the distance from the z-axis
SpecialOps0

Homework Statement

The four particles shown below are connected by rigid rods of negligible mass where y1 = 6.60 m. The origin is at the center of the rectangle. The system rotates in the xy plane about the z axis with an angular speed of 5.40 rad/s.
http://www.webassign.net/serpse8/10-p-025-alt.gif

(a) Calculate the moment of inertia of the system about the z axis.

(b) Calculate the rotational kinetic energy of the system.

Homework Equations

I = kg*m^2
I= sum of all mr^2

K=.5Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

5.4/2=2.7
2.7^2=7.29+2^2=11.29
11.29 = A
2A+2A+3A+4A = 124.19 kgm^2
=120B)
.5*124.19*5.4^2 rad/s = 1810.6902
=1810JFor some reason when I enter them in they are wrong. On the practice problem it has it as two sig figs so that's what I used in the answer and it's incorrect. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not able to get what you are trying to do. Please explain your method. What is A?

y1 = 6.60 m.

What does 5.4 rad/s have to do with the distance the particles are from the z-axis?

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is the energy an object has because of its mass and rotational speed.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: KE = (1/2) * I * ω², where KE is rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the object, and ω is the angular velocity of the object in radians per second.

3. What is the difference between rotational and linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is based on an object's rotational motion, while linear kinetic energy is based on an object's linear motion. Rotational kinetic energy takes into account an object's moment of inertia, while linear kinetic energy does not.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's rotational kinetic energy?

The distribution of mass affects an object's rotational kinetic energy because it impacts the object's moment of inertia. Objects with mass distributed further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore a higher rotational kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational kinetic energy?

Some common examples of rotational kinetic energy include spinning tops, a bicycle wheel in motion, and a figure skater performing a spin. Other examples include a Ferris wheel, a spinning planet, and a car's wheels while in motion.