Rotational Motion About a Fixed Axis Problem

In summary, the problem involves a wheel with a diameter of 0.68m that is rolling without slipping. The top point of the wheel has a tangential speed of 5.4m/s while the center of mass has a velocity of 2.7m/s. The angular speed of the wheel can be calculated using the formula velocity = angular speed * radius, using the velocity of the center of mass.
th3plan
A wheel of diameter of .68m roll without slipping. A point at the top of the wheel moves witha tangential speed of 5.4m/s. Whaat speed is the axle of the wheel moving? What is the angular speed of the wheel?

Can someone work this problem out, so i can see how its done. My teacher flies through stuff, and doesn't explain have the stuff, because general physics is high school stuff he tells me. Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
… which bit is stationary … ?

th3plan said:
My teacher flies through stuff, and doesn't explain half the stuff, because general physics is high school stuff he tells me.

Hi th3plan! :smile:

Which half did you understand?

Did your teacher explain what "roll without slipping" means?

Did you understand which bit of the wheel is stationary? :smile:

Rolling without slipping>> velocity = omega* radius.

Now for your reference, the top point of the wheel moves with twice the translational velocity of the the center of mass of wheel.

> velocity of center of mass= 5.4/2 m/s

now use velocity = omega *radius to get the angular velocity of the wheel.

Remember the velocity to be used is the velocity of the center of mass, which u have just calculated.

Related to Rotational Motion About a Fixed Axis Problem

1. What is rotational motion about a fixed axis problem?

Rotational motion about a fixed axis problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of objects rotating around a fixed axis. This can include objects such as wheels, gears, and planets.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving rotational motion about a fixed axis problems?

The key concepts involved in solving rotational motion about a fixed axis problems include angular velocity, angular acceleration, moment of inertia, torque, and centripetal force. These concepts are used to calculate the rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis.

3. How do you determine the direction of the angular velocity in a rotational motion about a fixed axis problem?

The direction of the angular velocity in a rotational motion about a fixed axis problem is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the rotational motion, your fingers will curl in the direction of the angular velocity.

4. Can rotational motion about a fixed axis problems involve both translational and rotational motion?

Yes, rotational motion about a fixed axis problems can involve both translational and rotational motion. This is known as rolling motion, where an object rotates around a fixed axis while also moving in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational motion about a fixed axis problems?

Rotational motion about a fixed axis problems have many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of planets around the sun, analyzing the rotation of wheels in vehicles, and designing machinery with rotating parts. This concept is also important in sports, such as understanding the spin of a ball in sports like baseball and tennis.