Rotational motion and moment of inertia-HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the energy and torque methods to solve a problem involving rotational motion and moment of inertia. The participants also discuss the correct formula for finding tension in the threads attached to two masses linked by a pulley. The correct formula is t1=m1g-m1a and t2=m2a+m2g, and the linear acceleration can be found by multiplying the angular acceleration by the radius of the pulley.
eyeshiled21
rotational motion and moment of inertia---HELP!

Homework Statement

Two masses m1=2.00 kg and m2=1.00 kg are linked by a thread and thrown over a pulley whose mass is 1.00 kg. The radius of the pulley is 0.200 m.

a) Find the acceleration a with which the weights move
b) the tensions T1 and T2 of the threads which the masses are attached to.

Consider the pulley as a homogeneous disk. Disregard friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i tried to use the energy method because i know how to do that. But I'm having a problem because the problem doesn't state any given energy. please help me

Physics news on Phys.org

The energy method won't be very useful here, since they haven't asked for the velocity after the masses change their height.
Try making a free body diagram and work it out by its dynamics.

so you're saying that i must use Newtonian approach to solve this problem? well, I've thought of that at first. But then again, there's this moment of inertia of the pulley, and it's stated there that the pulley is a homogeneous disk. Am i really going to ignore that moment-of-inertia thing? because i think it will be useful

No you don't have to ignore the moment of inertia. Find out the angular acceleration of the pulley, due to the torques by the two tensions. Now how will this angular acceleration be related to the acceleration of the thread?

will you help me using the torque method then? because what the instructor taught us was just up to moment of inertia.

T= F * R sinθ

Where T is torque, F is force, and θ is the angle between the object and the force vector (90 degrees in this case).

And now just like F=ma, T= I * α

Where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration.

Now since the thread is not sliding, and the pulley is purely rolling a= R*α (This has an important concept and proof behind it, make sure that you go through it, yourself, or with help of your teacher).

No simply make the free body diagrams of all the 3 objects and use the given formulas.

(And just like in dynamics, acceleration= net force/ total mass, here too, its the same thing, and to account for the pulley's mass, we use I/(R^2), this is just a shortcut, and might not give the correct result always since it has loopholes. In your example, a= (M1g-M2g)/[M1+M2+ Mp/2]. Where Mp/2 is Inertia of pulley upon R^2)

gee, thanks a lot...maybe i will show you my solutions tomorrow...

btw, is that a you give in your reply the linear acceleration or the angular?? because if that's linear, then that will be my answer in a.) right?

and also, is my formula for t1 and t2 correct?
t1=m1g-m1a and t2=m2a+m2g

eyeshiled21 said:
btw, is that a you give in your reply the linear acceleration or the angular??
the α is angular acceleration, and since there is no slipping a(linear acc.) = R*α

eyeshiled21 said:
and also, is my formula for t1 and t2 correct?
t1=m1g-m1a and t2=m2a+m2g

Yes that's right.

when i multiply the angular acceleration by the radius of the pulley, my units are m^2/s^2 which for me, looks the wrong unit for acceleration. where did i get wrong?

Related to Rotational motion and moment of inertia-HELP

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis or center point, while linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object moves in a circular or curved path, while in linear motion, the object moves in a straight line.

2. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass and distribution of an object's mass around its axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion.

3. How is rotational motion and moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Rotational motion and moment of inertia are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery. They are also important in understanding the behavior of objects in sports, such as in the trajectory of a basketball shot or the spin of a discus throw.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for different shapes?

The moment of inertia for different shapes can be calculated using specific formulas. For example, for a solid cylinder, the moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 x mass x radius^2. For a hollow cylinder, the moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 x mass x (outer radius^2 - inner radius^2). For more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the integral calculus method.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, so it must always be a positive value. However, it can be zero for objects with all of their mass concentrated at the axis of rotation.