Rotational Motion: Energy Conservation

In summary, the problem involves a sliding block with a mass of .850kg, a counterweight with a mass of .420kg, and a pulley with a mass of .350kg and outer and inner radii of .030m and .020m respectively. The coefficient of friction is .250 and the pulley is attached to an axle. The block has an initial velocity of .820m/s towards the pulley when passing by the first photogate. Using the energy method, the predicted velocity of the block at the second photogate, .700m away, is found to be 1.5855 m/s. This is obtained by using the equation ΔKE (initial)= ΔKE (final) and
SpringWater

Homework Statement

the sliding block has a mass of .850kg the counterweight has a mass of .420kg , and the pulley has a mass of .350kg with outer and inner radius .030m, .020m, the coefficient of friction is .250. the pulley turns the axle. the light cord does not stretch and does not slip on the pulley. The block has velocity of .820m/s towards the pulley when passes by photogate . use the energy method to predict the velocity it moved to a second photogate. .700m away?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to set up the problem using
ΔKE (initial)= ΔKE (final)

however i am wondering if this is possible...
Ke(m1)+KE(m2)+KE(rot)=(uk)(m1)(g)(X)

(V)^(2)*((.5)(m1)+(.5)(m2)+(.5)(I)(1/(r)^(2)))=(μk)(m1)(g)(X)

Where I=2.275E-4 & r=.02m & X=.7m By doing this i get V=1.5855 m/s

This is the correct answer! Did i get the correct answer just by coincidence or is this actually possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that W=ΔEk

So you get:

h=separation between photogates
a=acceleration of the system
m=mass of the block moving through the photogate
M=mass of the other block
v=velocity of the system

mah=0.5m(v22-v12)

So the only thing you need to know in order to solve for v2 in the equation above is a, which you can get using rotational formulas and Newton's laws.

Related to Rotational Motion: Energy Conservation

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion, which is when an object moves in a straight line without changing direction. In rotational motion, the object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

2. What is conservation of energy in rotational motion?

Conservation of energy in rotational motion refers to the principle that the total energy of a system remains constant during rotational motion. This means that the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a rotating object remains the same as long as no external forces act on the system.

3. How is the conservation of energy applied in rotational motion?

The conservation of energy is applied in rotational motion through the equation E = K + U, where E is the total energy of the system, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the potential energy. As the object rotates, its kinetic and potential energy may change, but the total energy remains constant.

4. Can energy be transferred between rotational and linear motion?

Yes, energy can be transferred between rotational and linear motion. This can occur when a rotating object, such as a wheel, is connected to an axle that is attached to a linear object, causing the rotation to be converted into linear motion.

5. What factors affect the conservation of energy in rotational motion?

The conservation of energy in rotational motion is affected by various factors, including the mass and radius of the rotating object, the speed of rotation, and the presence of any external forces, such as friction. These factors can impact the amount and distribution of kinetic and potential energy in the system, but the total energy remains constant.