Rotational Motion: Finding Angle of Chalk Line on Rotating Bicycle Wheel

In summary, a rotating bicycle wheel with an initial angular speed of 2.84 rad/s is given an angular acceleration of 1.75 rad/s2. Using the rotational kinematics equations, the angle made by a chalk line drawn on the wheel with its original direction at t = 1.77 s is calculated to be 7.77 rad. However, the answer may need to be adjusted by subtracting 2pi.
AJDangles

Homework Statement

A rotating bicycle wheel has an angular speed of 2.84 rad/s at some instant of time. It is then given an angular acceleration of 1.75 rad/s2. A chalk line drawn on the wheel is horizontal at t = 0. What angle does this line make with its original direction at t = 1.77 s?

Homework Equations

The rotational kinematics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation:

Δθ = ωt + (1/2)(ang. accn)t2

= (2.84)(1.77) + 0.5 (1.75)(1.77)^2
= 7.77rad

I can't get it right. I have a feeling I have to use the angular acceleration to change the angular velocity, but I can't figure out how to do this. It's probably something really silly so if someone could point out what I'm doing wrong it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Angular acceleration is 1.75, not 1.62

ahsanxr said:
Angular acceleration is 1.75, not 1.62

Sorry, typo. Fixed now. Answer is still wrong.

Anybody?

Maybe you should subtract 2pi from the answer?

Related to Rotational Motion: Finding Angle of Chalk Line on Rotating Bicycle Wheel

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as circular motion.

2. What is the difference between rotational and translational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object from one point to another, while rotational motion involves an object rotating around an axis. Translational motion can be linear or curvilinear, while rotational motion is always circular.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position over time. It is usually measured in radians per second and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and how that mass is distributed around the axis of rotation. Objects with higher moment of inertia are more difficult to rotate.

5. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational motion, torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of the object. This means that the greater the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate.