Rotational motion: Number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest

In summary, the conversation is about a person's uncertainty with their calculation for a question and seeking confirmation from someone else. They initially got a result of 6.379 revolutions but after further calculation and checking with an online calculator, they get a result of 0.646 revolutions. They mention that their calculator may be malfunctioning.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out number of revolutions before flywheel comes to rest
Relevant Equations
Rotational equivalent of SUVAT equations
Hi there

I have been having a go at this question and I'm uncertain if my answer to part b) is valid?

Screenshot 2019-12-22 at 21.29.47.png

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3546.JPG

The problem is when I plug this into the calculator I get 6.379... revs however this doesn't make sense to me. 2*pi is roughly 6.28 radians so doing 4.061... rads / 6.28 rads = 0.647 revs

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 0.646 revs. Redo the calculation or use a spreadsheet for independent confirmation.

Likes Bolter
kuruman said:
I get 0.646 revs. Redo the calculation or use a spreadsheet for independent confirmation.

Ok thanks. I just checked on an online calculator and get the same now as you. I suppose my calculator is just malfunctioning and acting really dodgy :rolleyes:

1. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis, while linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line. Rotational motion can also involve changes in angular velocity and acceleration, while linear motion deals with changes in linear velocity and acceleration.

2. What factors affect the number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest?

The number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest can be affected by several factors including the initial angular velocity, the mass and distribution of the flywheel, any external forces acting on the flywheel, and the moment of inertia of the flywheel.

3. Can the number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest be calculated?

Yes, the number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest can be calculated using the formula N = (ω0f)2, where N is the number of revolutions, ω0 is the initial angular velocity, and ωf is the final angular velocity of the flywheel.

4. How does friction affect the number of revolutions before a flywheel comes to rest?

Friction can cause the flywheel to slow down and eventually come to rest, reducing the number of revolutions it makes. This is because friction creates a resisting torque that acts against the motion of the flywheel.

5. What applications does the study of rotational motion have?

The study of rotational motion has many practical applications, such as understanding the movement of gears and pulleys in machinery, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, and designing efficient engines and turbines. It is also important in fields like sports, where understanding the dynamics of rotational motion can lead to improved techniques and performance.