Rotational Motion: Solving a Problem with Translational and Angular Motion

In summary: Then the net speed in the x direction would be, (v/2) + (3v)/2. cos[(3v)t/b]and in the y direction, (3v)/2. sin[(3v)t/b]
coldblood
Hi friends,
Please help me in solving this problem, I'll appreciate the help.

The problem is as:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/s720x720/601231_1461726974054408_338858428_n.jpg

Attempt-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/s720x720/1509289_1461726967387742_825364419_n.jpg

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For angular momentum, you need to be careful how you pick your reference point. You can use the mass centre or any fixed point in the inertial frame. Your choice appears to be the middle of the bar, which is neither.

haruspex said:
For angular momentum, you need to be careful how you pick your reference point. You can use the mass centre or any fixed point in the inertial frame. Your choice appears to be the middle of the bar, which is neither.

So according to you which point should I take here for conserving the angular momentum, Bottom or Top?

coldblood said:
So according to you which point should I take here for conserving the angular momentum, Bottom or Top?
Neither. You can use the mass centre of the system (messy) or any fixed point. How about the location of the rod's centre before it moves?

haruspex said:
Neither. You can use the mass centre of the system (messy) or any fixed point. How about the location of the rod's centre before it moves?

Well in my attempt, I conserve angular momentum about the center of the rod.

coldblood said:
Well in my attempt, I conserve angular momentum about the center of the rod.
Yes, but you must not use that in the sense of wherever the rod is at any given time, as it moves. You can use that fixed point in space where the middle of the rod was at the start.

haruspex said:
Yes, but you must not use that in the sense of wherever the rod is at any given time, as it moves. You can use that fixed point in space where the middle of the rod was at the start.

Ok Let me try for that.

haruspex said:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1513192_1462156994011406_1703815557_n.jpg

I just reread the OP. A mistake in your diagram misled me. You drew it as though the masses are m and 2m, with both velocities v. It's the other way about: both masses are m and the velocities are v and 2v.
This is easier. The middle of the bar will be the mass centre, so you can use your original method.

haruspex said:
I just reread the OP. A mistake in your diagram misled me. You drew it as though the masses are m and 2m, with both velocities v. It's the other way about: both masses are m and the velocities are v and 2v.
This is easier. The middle of the bar will be the mass centre, so you can use your original method.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1471173_1462372860656486_905776386_n.jpg

Still not getting the perfect result.

I'm having some trouble telling your v's from your b's. It looks like you may have done too. How did you get the amplitudes on the trig functions?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
I'm having some trouble telling your v's from your b's. It looks like you may have done too. How did you get the amplitudes on the trig functions?

Well, there I think I have done wrong calculation for the distances.
What I have found is that, Now the rod has translational speed as well as the angular speed.
Translational velocity => v/2
and angular speed => ω = (3v)/b
After time t angular displacement of the rod, θ = ωt => θ = (3v)t/b
and due to angular motion,the top particle would be moving in the direction towards ivth quadrant[+x, -y] if θ < 900 (assumed at some time.)
So its speed would be (b/2)ω = (3v)/2 due to rotation.
Taking its component in x-axis and y - axis
X component, (3v)/2. cosθ => (3v)/2. cos[(3v)t/b]
Y component, (3v)/2. sinθ => (3v)/2. sin[(3v)t/b]

Then the net speed in the x direction would be, (v/2) + (3v)/2. cos[(3v)t/b]
and in the y direction, (3v)/2. sin[(3v)t/b]
Now after integrating it I got the answer, Thanks a lot.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion involves both linear and angular velocity.

What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object rotating around an axis. They are measured in different units, with linear velocity in meters per second and angular velocity in radians per second.

How do you calculate rotational motion?

To calculate rotational motion, you need to know the moment of inertia of the object (a measure of its resistance to change in rotation), its angular velocity, and any external forces acting on the object. The equation for rotational motion is torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis at which the force is applied. Torque is measured in newton-meters (N∙m).

What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Rotational motion can be seen in many everyday objects, such as a spinning top, a merry-go-round, a bicycle wheel, or a ceiling fan. It also occurs in natural phenomena, such as the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the orbit of planets around the sun.