Rotational motion-why are torques not in opposite directions

In summary, a cylinder of mass m is suspended through 2 strings wrapped around it at its ends, connected to the ceiling. Both strings have equal tension and the cylinder rolls without slipping. The distance between the CM of the cylinder and each end is denoted as r, and the moment of inertia as I. To find the tension T in the string and the speed of the cylinder as it falls through distance h, equations for linear motion in the vertical direction for the center of mass of the cylinder and that of rotational motion about the CM are used. The solution involves using the equation 2Tr = I*alpha, where alpha is the angular acceleration. This equation assumes that both tensions contribute an equal torque in the same direction. However,
Epiclightning

Homework Statement

A cylinder of mass m is suspended through 2 strings wrapped around it at its ends, connected to the ceiling. Both strings have equal tension, and the cylinder rolls without slipping. r is the distance between the CM of the cylinder and each end. I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder.
Find the tension T in the string and the speed of the cylinder as it falls through a distance h.

Homework Equations

Equations for linear motion in vertical direction for center of mass of the cylinder, and that of rotational motion about the CM.

The Attempt at a Solution

Linear:
mg - 2T = ma

Rotational:
The solution says 2Tr = I*alpha (where alpha is angular acceleration).
After this we simplify using angular acceleration= a/r, and solve the equations.

I understand that part, but I don't get why 2Tr = Ia...both tensions are acting on the top of the cylinder, so the torques should be in opposite directions and cancel each other out, right? When I use torque = r x T, the directions come out of the page and into the page. But the equations say that both tensions contribute an equal torque in one direction. Why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is their a picture or other diagram which is furnished describing how the cylinder is suspended initially?

image.jpg

Epiclightning said:

Based on this sketch, it appears that the cylinder is initially suspended with both strings coming off one side.

You should sketch a free body diagram of the cylinder and the strings to determine the total forces acting on the cylinder as it starts to move.

I did, and that's how I got the linear equations, but the torques appear to be in opposite directions, unlike the equation that the solution suggests (2Tr = I*alpha). This equation suggests that the torques are in the same direction.

Epiclightning said:
I don't get why 2Tr = Ia...both tensions are acting on the top of the cylinder, so the torques should be in opposite directions and cancel each other out, right? When I use torque = r x T, the directions come out of the page and into the page.
That's because you are looking at torque around the wrong axis. The diagram is confusing you. Consider what it looks like from one end of the cylinder. You should see a circle (cylinder end) with a string rising almost vertically from one side. The other string is directly behind it. Each string exerts the same torque about the cylinder's axis.
Note that it's really a bit more complicated. The strings won't quite be vertical, but you can't take that into account because it depends on string length.

Likes Epiclightning
Ohh, yes that makes sense. Then both torques would be in the same direction. Thanks :)

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is characterized by the object's angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What is a torque?

A torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

Why are torques not in opposite directions?

Torques are not always in opposite directions because the direction of the torque depends on the direction of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation. If the force is applied at different distances from the axis, the torques will also be in different directions.

What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that in the absence of an external torque, the angular momentum of a system will remain constant.

How does rotational motion relate to linear motion?

Rotational motion can be described in terms of linear motion using the concept of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration. This allows us to understand and analyze rotational motion in a similar way to linear motion.