Rotations from angular acceleration and final angular velocity

In summary: So, it's not relevant to the summary.In summary, at a fair, Hank and Finn were able to spin a horizontal 5.4 m long bar, which was able to rotate about a pole going through its exact center, with a constant angular acceleration of 0.35 rad/s^2. Hank pushed with 32 N at one end of the bar and Finn pushed with 18 N in the opposite direction at the other end, both forces always being perpendicular to the bar. The bar was rotated from rest to an angular speed of 3.1 rad/s. Using the equation w^2=wi^2+2(alpha)theta, the number of rotations around the pole was calculated to be 2.18
NY152

Homework Statement

At a fair, Hank and Finn play with a horizontal 5.4 m long bar able to rotate about a pole going through its exact center. Hank pushes with 32 N at one end of the bar and Finn pushes with 18 N in the opposite direction at the other end. (Assume both forces are always perpendicular to the bar.) The bar rotates from rest with a constant angular acceleration of 0.35 rad/s^2.

Hank and Finn were able to spin the bar up to an angular speed of 3.1 rad/s. How many turns around the pole did they make to push the bar?

Homework Equations

w^2=wi^2+2(alpha)theta

The Attempt at a Solution

(3.1)^2=0+(2(.35)theta
theta =13.7
theta/2pi=#of rotations
=2.18 rotations

I don't have the correct answer for this so I have no idea if I'm doing this correct or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and result are fine.

Please don't make pleas for help in your thread titles. The question didn't really involve torque calculations, did it? I'll change the title to something appropriate.

gneill said:
Your method and result are fine.

Please don't make pleas for help in your thread titles. The question didn't really involve torque calculations, did it? I'll change the title to something appropriate.
Sorry about that, and there are two forces acting on it, but you find the mass later by doing the sum of the torques=I*alpha
That wouldn't apply to this would it?

NY152 said:
Sorry about that, and there are two forces acting on it, but you find the mass later by doing the sum of the torques=I*alpha
That wouldn't apply to this would it?
It would apply to a question where it asks you to find the mass, but that wasn't the question asked this time.

1. What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s2).

2. How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to torque and inversely proportional to the moment of inertia. This relationship is described by the equation α = τ / I, where τ is torque and I is the moment of inertia.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity measures the speed at which an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures the change in that speed over time.

4. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. A negative angular acceleration indicates that an object is slowing down its rotational speed or changing direction in the opposite direction of its initial rotation.

5. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Angular acceleration is responsible for causing a change in the rotational motion of an object. It can either increase or decrease the speed of rotation, or change the direction of rotation. The direction of angular acceleration is determined by the direction of the applied torque.