Rotations of spins and of wavefunctions

In summary, the angular momentum of a particle of spin 1 is represented by the matrix Sz . The eigenvalues of Sz are the same as those of Jz , where Jz is the matrix representation of the z component of the angular momentum in the |j m> basis. The most general unitary matrix that transforms Sz into Jz is U Sz U† = Jz .
wondering12
Thread moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
This is a question regarding the intrinsic angular momentum S of a particle of spin 1.
Assuming S = s(s+1)I = 2I and I is the identity operator. In our case s = 1.
Let |z> be a ket of norm 1 such that Sz |z> = 0, and let |x> and |y> be the ket vectors
obtained from it by rotations of + 1/2 Pi about the y-axis and − 1/2 Pi about the x-axis
respectively. Prove the following relations, as well as those resulting from circular
permutation of x, y, and z:
Sx |x> = 0 , Sx |y> = i|z> , Sxˆ2 |y> = |y> , Sx |z> = −i|y> , Sx2|z> = |z>
Use these to show that |x>, |y>, |y> form an orthonormal basis and that the matrices
representing Sx , Sy and Sz in that basis are:
Sx = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0& 0 & -i\\
0&i &0
\end{bmatrix}
Sy = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & i \\
0& 0 & 0\\
-i&0 &0
\end{bmatrix}
Sz = \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i & 0 \\
i& 0 & 0\\
0&0 &0
\end{bmatrix}
Show that the eigenvalues of Sz are the same as those of Jz , where Jz is the matrix
representation of the z component of the angular momentum in the |j m> basis, for
j = 1. Then find the most general unitary matrix that transforms
Sz into Jz : U Sz U† = Jz .Choose the arbitrary parameters in U so that it also
transforms Sx into Jx and Sy into Jy .
This problem can be found in Quantum Mechanics by Albert Messiah volume 1 chapter 8 problem 10 part ii and iii.
see attachment.
My humble attempt at the problem,
Used a rotation 3-d matrix for x,y,z or:
Rx = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0& cos(a) & -sin(a)\\
0&sin(a) &cos(a)
\end{bmatrix}
Ry = \begin{bmatrix}
cos(a) & 0 & sin(a) \\
0& 1 & 0\\
-sin(a)&0 &cos(a)
\end{bmatrix}
Rz = \begin{bmatrix}
cos(a) & -sin(a & 0 \\
sin(a) &cos(a) & 0\\
0&0 &1
\end{bmatrix}
After that substituting angle for x and y does not give me any meaning to go further. Probably I am starting in a wrong way. Help appreciated.

Attachments

• messiah problem.jpeg
    messiah problem.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Those rotation matrices aren't the correct ones for this problem. You need the ones that work on the angular momentum space.

vela said:
Those rotation matrices aren't the correct ones for this problem.
Why not? I seem to get the right answer by the unitary transform ##S_x = R_y S_z R_y^{\dagger}##.

I think one could also do this problem matrix-less and hence saving lots of space, instead only works with ket notations. For example for the first task to prove ##S_x|x\rangle = 0##, one can use the substitution ##|x\rangle = \exp(-iS_y \pi/2) |z\rangle##. Have tried following this path, unfortunately stuck with the involved algebra. By the way the OP seems to be long absent anyway.

1. What is a spin in physics?

A spin in physics is an intrinsic property of particles that describes their angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property that can take on discrete values, typically represented by half-integer or integer numbers.

2. How do spin rotations affect wavefunctions?

Spin rotations affect wavefunctions by changing the orientation of the spin with respect to the direction of motion. This can result in changes to the overall shape and properties of the wavefunction, such as its energy level or magnetic moment.

3. What is the relationship between spin and magnetic fields?

Spin and magnetic fields are closely related in physics. The angular momentum of a particle's spin can interact with an external magnetic field, causing it to align in a particular direction. This alignment can affect the behavior and properties of the particle.

4. How does spin affect the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics?

Spin plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it is one of the fundamental properties of particles. It affects the behavior of particles by influencing their energy levels, interactions with other particles, and the probability of certain outcomes in measurements.

5. Can spin be observed or measured directly?

No, spin cannot be observed or measured directly. It is a quantum mechanical property that is described and predicted through mathematical equations and models. However, its effects can be observed and measured indirectly through experiments and observations of particle behavior.