Rubber Band Car- Wheel Placement and Center of Gravity?

In summary, the person is questioning the placement of wheels on their rubber band car and how it may affect its speed and efficiency. They mention their lack of background in physics and consider the role of mass and traction in the car's performance. They also mention the use of a fan or CD "wheels" as driving forces and suggest using rubber bands as tires. They reference a video discussing the physics of Pinewood Derby cars.
Jazure
I have an odd question after making a rubber band car. I'm wondering if placement of my pairs of wheels has any affect on how fast or how far my car goes. It seems to be a very impractical design, but I do want to know the science behind it. My question is if I move two wheels all the way to the very front of the car, would it somehow affect the performance of my car? I don't have much of a background in physics, but I think putting the mass in one place makes it harder for the car to accelerate and possibly gives it more traction. How would it affect the speed or efficiency of my car? (I intentionally made it to be unattractive and ugly). It will run a race on a tiled/very smooth floor.

prPNYM8.jpg

prPNYM8

Attachments

• prPNYM8.jpg
    prPNYM8.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,847
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the driving force the fan (spinning propeller)? If that is the case, then traction will not matter (and would be detrimental). If the CD "wheels" provide the driving force, then you will want some traction on the ones which provide the drive force. You could use some rubber bands around the rim of the CD to create some "tires", if that is allowed in your race.

Here is a video which talks about some of the physics behind Pinewood Derby cars. Note that their driving force is gravity, but it probably would be worth you watching. Some of what he talks about can apply to the motion of your car.

Likes Jazure

Question 1: What is the purpose of the rubber band car?

The rubber band car is a simple machine that uses the potential energy stored in a stretched rubber band to power the movement of the car. It is a fun and educational way to learn about concepts such as energy, motion, and mechanics.

Question 2: What is the role of wheel placement in a rubber band car?

The placement of the wheels is crucial in determining the direction and speed of the rubber band car. The front wheels should be closer together than the rear wheels to create stability and prevent the car from tipping over. Additionally, the distance between the wheels affects the turning radius of the car.

Question 3: How does the center of gravity affect the performance of a rubber band car?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of the car is evenly distributed. In a rubber band car, the center of gravity should be low to the ground to increase stability and prevent the car from tipping over. If the center of gravity is too high, the car will be more prone to tipping and may not move as smoothly.

Question 4: How do I determine the ideal wheel placement and center of gravity for my rubber band car?

The ideal wheel placement and center of gravity will depend on the size and weight of your rubber band car. It is best to experiment with different wheel placements and weights to find the optimal configuration for your specific car. You can also research and gather information from other rubber band car designs to get an idea of what may work best for your car.

Question 5: Are there any safety precautions to consider when building and using a rubber band car?

Yes, it is important to use caution and proper safety measures when building and using a rubber band car. Make sure to use appropriate materials and tools, and always have adult supervision when working with younger children. It is also important to test the car in a safe and open area to avoid any potential accidents.