Rules - Expectations in using the writer's forum

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Rules
In summary, it is not allowed to ask questions about real-world events in speculative fiction stories.
In this forum, it is possible for writers to ask for help with science-fiction or fantasy stories. Since science-fiction is speculative in nature, some degree of speculation is allowed here. However:

There can be no speculation about the real world and about known science. Rather, all speculative theories must be about a world which is different (although similar) from our own. Writers must give some kind of indication in what way their world is different from our world.

Discussions of the internal workings of a fictional universe are allowed but any attempt to discuss speculative fiction ideas with regard to the real world is not. For example: discussing the pros/cons/handwavium of a fictional technology with regards to a plot is perfectly ok but asking how such technology could be built in the real world and what the ramifications would be is not. This is a grey area and mentors reserve the right to close a thread when they think it violates this rule.

Members are advised to particularly take care during the discusson of near-future and hard science fiction; ensure a clear distinction between real science and speculative fiction. Personal theories are strictly not allowed.

The global guidelines are still in effect. This applies in particular to the forbidden topic list: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3929007&postcount=2 Any obvious crackpottery and links to crackpot sites will be deleted.

For those members interested in writing their story without member input, please use one of the two thread prefixes when creating your thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So where do I post speculative or alternate evolution questions if they're not allowed here?

Ask them as questions rather than assertions of the way things are and you can get some answers.
Here is an example.
For example, "Why doesn't this (blah, blah, blah) work?".
Or, why isn't the corona virus considered to have been developed in a lab? (a recent question).
Try not to be too far out there.

JohnWDailey said:
So where do I post speculative or alternate evolution questions if they're not allowed here?
I get the impression that the rules are that your sci-fi related question mustn't challenge scientific orthodoxy in the real world. It can surely challenge it in your fictional world! PF just needs to protect itself from crackpottery masquerading as science. It would be easy to air my ideas about spin 1/4 particles by claiming it's for a sci-fi. PF wants to avoid that.

That's how I see it anyway.

Likes Drakkith
kered rettop said:
I get the impression that the rules are that your sci-fi related question mustn't challenge scientific orthodoxy in the real world. It can surely challenge it in your fictional world! PF just needs to protect itself from crackpottery masquerading as science. It would be easy to air my ideas about spin 1/4 particles by claiming it's for a sci-fi. PF wants to avoid that.

That's how I see it anyway.
That plus when you invent your own physics it is almost impossible to then ask, "what will happen to my world now?" Well, we don't know, you've changed physics and even small changes often have catastrophic consequences and result in paradoxes and nonsensical results when you really get down into the details.

Likes kered rettop
Drakkith said:
That plus when you invent your own physics it is almost impossible to then ask, "what will happen to my world now?" Well, we don't know, you've changed physics and even small changes often have catastrophic consequences and result in paradoxes and nonsensical results when you really get down into the details.
Yay for The Willing Suspension of Disbelief!

Likes Drakkith