Rumsfeld offered to resign… twice

• News
  • Thread starter check
  • Start date
In summary, former US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld revealed in an interview that he offered to resign twice during the Abu Ghraib scandal, but his resignation was rejected by President Bush. Many are surprised by this revelation and question why it wasn't made public before the election. Some also express their lack of trust in the Bush administration and the media's handling of their statements. Others turn to alternative sources for political information.
check
Donald Rumsfeld has revealed in an interview that he offered to resign twice during the Abu Ghraib scandal only to have is resignation rejected by Bush.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4235045.stm

Wow, I really didn’t expect that from him. Probably would have been a big deal if it came out before the election. Ah well.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Falling on the sword? Big deal. Besides, why does anyone believe him or anyone else in the Bush administration? After everything that's happened, why does anyone believe them? It baffles me completely.

I saw Mrs Bush on NBC last night. She corrected Pres. Bush's direct statement that he doesn't read newspapers by saying that they read many papers every morning. She was concerned that her husbands statements made him look out of touch. Why doesn't the "liberal media" call them on this. Its so sickening.

because it's not "liberal media" lol

I agree with Smurf, that's why I get my primary political information from Mad comics, you know it makes sense!

Ivan, as you know...what we hear..and what people actually say are often two different things. I've not been able to find the two contradicting statements you're referring to, perhaps you can post them for us to prove your point?

How about "We know there are WMD in iraq" and "We never knew for sure there were WMD in Iraq"? lol

1. Why did Rumsfeld offer to resign twice?

Rumsfeld offered to resign twice due to mounting criticism and pressure surrounding his handling of the Iraq War. Many felt that his leadership and decision-making were responsible for the chaos and instability in the region.

2. When did Rumsfeld offer to resign the first time?

Rumsfeld first offered to resign in April 2006, following the release of the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal. However, President George W. Bush refused to accept his resignation at that time.

3. What was the reaction to Rumsfeld's first resignation offer?

The reaction to Rumsfeld's first resignation offer was mixed. Some praised him for taking responsibility for the Abu Ghraib scandal, while others saw it as a political move to appease critics. Some also criticized President Bush for not accepting the resignation.

4. Why did Rumsfeld offer to resign a second time?

Rumsfeld offered to resign a second time in November 2006, after the Democratic Party gained control of Congress in the mid-term elections. This was seen as an attempt to ease tensions and improve relations with the new Democratic leaders.

5. Did Rumsfeld's second resignation offer get accepted?

Yes, President Bush accepted Rumsfeld's second resignation offer and announced it on November 8, 2006. He was replaced by Robert Gates as the new Secretary of Defense.