Runge-Kutte: stability of fixed points

In summary: I really appreciate it. In summary, the explicit Runge-Kutta scheme applied to the equation $y'= y(1-y)$ has two spurious fixed points if $h>2$, which are the zeroes of the function $g(x)= f(x) + f \{ x + h\ f(x)\}$. To investigate their stability, the function g(x) is rearranged in terms of x and the discriminant is calculated. The scheme is stable for $h>2$, as the discriminant is positive in this case.
ra_forever8
Show that the explicit Runge-Kutta scheme
\begin{equation} \frac {y_{n+1} -y_{n}}{h}= \frac{1}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hk_{1})]
\end{equation}
where $k_{1} = f(t,y_{n})$applied to the equation $y'= y(1-y)$ has two spurious fixed points if $h>2$.Briefy describe how you would investigate their stability.=> my attempt so far
from $y'= y(1-y)$ $y'= 0$ $y=0$ or
$y=1$ which are the true fixed points.
after that i rearranged the runge kutta scheme
\begin{equation} \frac {y_{n+1} -y_{n}}{h}= \frac{1}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hk_{1})]
\end{equation}
\begin{equation} y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hf(t,y_{n})]
\end{equation}
i try to put the fixed points into above scheme and try to get two two Spurious fixed point for $y_{n}$ but i got struck. for the stability to describe i need to get two Spurious fixed point first. but in general please help to describe stability too because this part i really get confuse. Anyone please help me, it will be really helpful for my other problems too if i got this answer correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Advanced numerical solution of differential equations

grandy said:
Show that the explicit Runge-Kutta scheme
\end{equation}
where $k_{1} = f(t,y_{n})$applied to the equation $y'= y(1-y)$ has two spurious fixed points if $h>2$.Briefy describe how you would investigate their stability.=> my attempt so far
from $y'= y(1-y)$ $y'= 0$ $y=0$ or
$y=1$ which are the true fixed points.
after that i rearranged the runge kutta scheme
\end{equation}
\begin{equation} y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} [f(t,y_{n} + f(t+h, y_{n}+hf(t,y_{n})]
\end{equation}
i try to put the fixed points into above scheme and try to get two two Spurious fixed point for $y_{n}$ but i got struck. for the stability to describe i need to get two Spurious fixed point first. but in general please help to describe stability too because this part i really get confuse. Anyone please help me, it will be really helpful for my other problems too if i got this answer correctly.

In Your case $\displaystyle f(t,x) = x\ (1-x)$ is function of the x alone so that the fixed points are the zeroes of the function...

$\displaystyle g(x)= f(x) + f \{ x + h\ f(x)\} = x\ (1-x) + x\ (1-x) -h\ x^{2} (1-x) + h\ x\ (1-x)^2 - h^{2}\ x^{2}\ (1-x)^{2}\ (1) $

Clearly x=0 and x=1 are both zeroes of (1) but other two zeroes are solution of the equation... $\displaystyle h^{2}\ x^{2} - (2\ h + h^{2})\ x + 2 + h =0\ (2)$

The (2) admits real solutions only if the discriminant is positive and that happens if $h^{2} > 4 \implies h > 2$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

how did you apply $\displaystyle f(t,x) = x\ (1-x)$ into explicit runge kutta scheme to get the following

$\displaystyle g(x)= f(x) + f \{ x + h\ f(x)\} = x\ (1-x) + x\ (1-x) -h\ x^{2} (1-x) + h\ x\ (1-x)^2 - h^{2}\ x^{2}\ (1-x)^{2}\ (1) $

Clearly x=0 and x=1 are both zeroes of (1) but other two zeroes are solution of the equation...

how did you get this equation when you substitute x=0 and x=1.
$\displaystyle h^{2}\ x^{2} - (2\ h + h^{2})\ x + 2 + h =0\ (2)$

The (2) admits real solutions only if the discriminant is positive and that happens if $h^{2} > 4 \implies h > 2$...

how did you know $h^{2} > 4 \implies h > 2$...

can you please go little slowly, so i can understand clearly sir

so stability depends upon $y_n$. if $h>2$ means $y_n$ is stable? what can i say more about stability?
Kind regards

after long thinking and practice ,finally got it what you have done sir. Thank you

Firstly, it is important to note that the explicit Runge-Kutta scheme is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation. In this case, the differential equation is $y'=y(1-y)$.

By rearranging the given scheme, we get:
\begin{equation}
y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} \left[f(t,y_{n}) + f(t+h, y_{n}+hf(t,y_{n}))\right]
\end{equation}

Now, let's substitute the fixed points into this scheme. For $y=0$, we have $y'=0$, which gives us $f(t,y_{n})=0$. Substituting this into the scheme, we get:
\begin{equation}
y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} \left[0 + f(t+h, 0)\right]
\end{equation}
Since $f(t,y)=y(1-y)$, we get $f(t+h,0)=0$, and hence, $y_{n+1}=y_{n}$ for $y=0$. This means that $y=0$ is a fixed point of the scheme.

Similarly, for $y=1$, we have $y'=0$, which gives us $f(t,y_{n})=0$. Substituting this into the scheme, we get:
\begin{equation}
y_{n+1} = y_{n} + \frac{h}{2} \left[0 + f(t+h, h)\right]
\end{equation}
Since $f(t,y)=y(1-y)$, we get $f(t+h,h)=h(1-h)$, and hence, $y_{n+1}=y_{n}+h(1-h)$ for $y=1$. This means that $y=1$ is also a fixed point of the scheme.

Now, to investigate the stability of these fixed points, we can use linear stability analysis. This involves studying the behavior of small perturbations around the fixed points. In this case, we can consider the perturbation $u_{n}=y_{n}-y$, where $y$ is the fixed point. Substituting this into the scheme, we get:
\begin{equation

1. What is the Runge-Kutta method?

The Runge-Kutta method is a numerical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It involves breaking down the ODE into smaller steps and using a series of calculations to approximate the solution at each step.

2. How does the Runge-Kutta method ensure accuracy?

The Runge-Kutta method uses a higher order of approximation compared to other numerical methods, meaning it takes into account more terms in the calculation. This results in a more accurate solution compared to simpler methods like Euler's method.

3. What is the stability of fixed points in the Runge-Kutta method?

Fixed points in the context of the Runge-Kutta method refer to the points where the solution of the ODE does not change. The stability of these points depends on the choice of the step size and the order of the method. A higher order method with a smaller step size will result in a more stable fixed point.

4. How do you determine the stability region of the Runge-Kutta method?

The stability region of the Runge-Kutta method is determined by plotting the absolute stability function, which is a function of the step size, for different values of the coefficients used in the method. The region where the function is less than or equal to 1 is considered the stability region.

5. Can the Runge-Kutta method be used for stiff ODEs?

Yes, the Runge-Kutta method can be used for stiff ODEs (ordinary differential equations with rapidly changing solutions). However, a special form of the method, such as the implicit Runge-Kutta method, must be used to ensure stability and accuracy for stiff problems.