Running openFOAM on a Mac: issues with paraFOAM

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of ParaView and OpenFOAM on a Mac computer. The individual encountered an error when trying to run the paraFoam & command in the terminal, which led them to believe they needed to download and install ParaView. However, even after installing ParaView, they still received the same error. They then discuss potential solutions and ask for further advice. The conversation ends with a mention of using YouTube videos for additional guidance.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm using a mac and am running the CFD program openFOAM. As I'm going through a tutorial on openFOAM, I am instructed to type
Code:
paraFoam &
into the terminal. When I do so, I receive this error:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "". Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I googled this, and apparently there was the same issue here: https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/o...942-openfoam-v1706-parafoam-failed-start.html

So I followed the final comment, where I was directed here: https://www.paraview.org/download/ and where I downloaded ParaView-5.5.1-1-Qt5-MPI-OSX10.8-64bit.dmg

But I still receive the same initial error. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Did you click on the dmg file to install the plugin?
I'm confused what you mean by "the plugin" (sorry, I'm bad with computers).

From the first link I posted I assumed I did not have ParaView installed, so I thought I was using that .dmg file to install the program.

Yes that’s what I meant. When you said you downloaded it I thought you thought that as enough and that you didn’t use it to install something.

Having installed, paraview maybe you can try reinstalling the openFOAM software. Sometimes during an install, the software installer will detect its dependencies in this case paravie and configure them in.

jedishrfu said:
Yes that’s what I meant. When you said you downloaded it I thought you thought that as enough and that you didn’t use it to install something.
To be clear, I do think it is sufficient to download the aforementioned .dmg at the link provided to have ParaView working on my machine (and consequently, the error I receive from the command line would not be there and instead ParaView would be opened). Am I wrong? Is there something more I need to install or have I installed ParaView incorrectly?

Install paraview and then install openFOAM. Beyond that I don’t know hat else to try. You could look for some openFOAM setup dialog or preferences dialog to see if there’s something there.

jedishrfu said:
Install paraview and then install openFOAM. Beyond that I don’t know hat else to try. You could look for some openFOAM setup dialog or preferences dialog to see if there’s something there.
I think I've already installed both (I know I have OpenFOAM working since I can run the demos). Thanks, I'll poke around for more stuff. If you see anything please let me know!

Likes jedishrfu
On the off chance that this is helpful I’m posting it. There are other YouTube videos talking about installing openFOAM so if this doesn’t help then you might find one that will.

Google search is getting less and less helpful. There’s just too much similarly sounding words that confuse the search. Oh well.

Likes member 428835

1. Why is paraFOAM not working properly on my Mac?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, make sure you have properly installed openFOAM and paraFOAM on your Mac. Also, check if your Mac meets the minimum system requirements for running openFOAM. Another possible reason could be compatibility issues with your Mac's operating system. You may need to update your OS or use a different version of paraFOAM that is compatible with your OS.

2. How can I install paraFOAM on my Mac?

The easiest way to install paraFOAM on your Mac is through the Homebrew package manager. Simply follow the steps outlined in the openFOAM installation guide for Mac, and use Homebrew to install paraFOAM. Alternatively, you can also manually download and install paraFOAM from the openFOAM website.

3. Why am I getting "cannot connect to X server" error when trying to run paraFOAM on my Mac?

This error occurs when the X server is not properly configured on your Mac. To fix this, you need to install XQuartz, which is a free and open-source X server for Mac. Once installed, you may also need to adjust your Mac's security settings to allow XQuartz to run.

4. How can I improve the performance of paraFOAM on my Mac?

One way to improve the performance of paraFOAM on your Mac is by increasing the number of cores used for parallel processing. This can be done by adjusting the "NP" parameter in the paraFOAM settings. You can also try optimizing your Mac's performance by closing unnecessary applications and freeing up memory.

5. Can I use a virtual machine to run paraFOAM on my Mac?

Yes, you can use a virtual machine to run paraFOAM on your Mac. However, it is important to make sure that your virtual machine has enough resources allocated to it for optimal performance. You may also need to adjust your virtual machine's settings to enable 3D acceleration for paraFOAM to work properly.