Russell's Paradox and the Axiom Schema of Separation

In summary, the Axiom Schema of Separation was created to resolve a paradox that arises from the Axiom of Unrestricted Comprehension. This is achieved by adding the restriction that the variable z is not free in the property P(x) in the Axiom Schema of Separation. However, even with this restriction, there is still a contradiction that arises when applying the axiom to the case of y e y. This is not considered a major issue as it does not affect the validity of the set theory.
AdamFiddler
As everybody I have read or heard on the matter claims, the Axiom Schema of Separation was concocted to resolve a paradox that results from the Axiom of Unrestricted Comprehension.

The Axiom Schema of Unrestricted Comprehension as I understand it is stated as follows (forgive my lack of proper symbolism here):

There exists a set y such that for all x, x e y <==> P(x) where P(x) is any property of x and "e" represents the membership predicate.

To derive Russell's Paradox, we let x=y (which we can do by the quantifier logic expressed in the axiom), and let P(x) be (not)x e x. We then have:

y e y <==> (not) y e y.

Now, the Axiom Schema of Separation, which supposedly does not give you a way to get to the paradox, is as follows:

There exists a y such that for all x, x e y <==> x e z ^ P(x) where P(x) is again a property of x (though this time with the restriction that the variable z is not free in P(x)), z is free, and "^" denoted the appropriate logical connective.

My question is: Letting x=y and P(x) be (not) x e y we then have:

1) y e y <==> y e z ^ (not) y e y
==> 2) (y e y ==> y e z ^ (not) y e y) By definition of "<==>"
==> 3) ((y e y ==> y e z) ^ (y e y ==> (not y e y))
==> 4) (y e y ==> (not y e y)

In going from 2 to 3 I've used "(A==>B^C)==>(A==>B ^ A==>C)
In going from 3 to 4 I've used "(A^B==>A)"

And so we have again produced a contradiction of sorts. How are we to interpret the above result? Is this a justifying construction of the empty set, as we know that by extensionality any set defined by separation is unique? Are we instead to ignore the case of separation involving phrase "y e y" completely since we know that by the Axiom of Regularity it is true that for all nonempty sets y we have (not) y e y?

All help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Adam Fiddler

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the point is that y e y ==> (not) y e y is not a proper contradiction and so it does no damage to our set theory?

What is Russell's Paradox?

Russell's Paradox is a mathematical paradox discovered by philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell in the late 19th century. It arises from a contradiction in the set theory, specifically in the concept of a set containing all sets that do not contain themselves.

What is the Axiom Schema of Separation?

The Axiom Schema of Separation is a fundamental axiom in the set theory that allows the creation of subsets from existing sets. It states that for any property or condition, there exists a set containing all elements that satisfy that property or condition.

How does Russell's Paradox relate to the Axiom Schema of Separation?

Russell's Paradox challenges the validity of the Axiom Schema of Separation by showing that the set of all sets that do not contain themselves cannot exist. This creates a contradiction in the set theory, as the Axiom Schema of Separation assumes the existence of such a set.

What is the significance of Russell's Paradox and the Axiom Schema of Separation?

Russell's Paradox and the Axiom Schema of Separation have significant implications in the foundations of mathematics and set theory. They highlight the limitations and inconsistencies of the set theory and have led to the development of alternative axiomatic systems.

How has Russell's Paradox and the Axiom Schema of Separation been resolved?

There have been various solutions proposed to resolve Russell's Paradox and the issues it raises with the Axiom Schema of Separation. One approach is to restrict the Axiom Schema of Separation to avoid creating sets that lead to contradictions. Another approach is to use axiomatic systems that do not rely on the Axiom Schema of Separation, such as Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory.