Rutherford Scattering Trajectory

This is due to the impact parameter and the Rutherford Scattering formula. In summary, the limit of the angle of scattering between carbon and a proton is small due to the size difference between the two particles and the principles of Rutherford Scattering.
says

Homework Statement

Carbon scatters on a proton. What is the limit of the angle of scattering?

I'm not really sure where to start this question. I know it has something to do with Rutherford Scattering and impact parameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Carbon scatters on a proton. What is the limit of the angle of scattering?

I'm not really sure where to start this question. I know it has something to do with Rutherford Scattering and impact parameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can the scattering angle be as large as 180°? If not, why not?

The scattering angle will be small, because the target (proton) is much smaller than carbon.

What is Rutherford Scattering Trajectory?

Rutherford Scattering Trajectory is a phenomenon where a charged particle is deflected as it passes close to a positively charged nucleus.

Who discovered Rutherford Scattering Trajectory?

Rutherford Scattering Trajectory was discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 through his famous gold foil experiment.

What is the significance of Rutherford Scattering Trajectory in nuclear physics?

Rutherford Scattering Trajectory provided evidence for the existence of a small, dense, positively charged nucleus in an atom, leading to the development of the modern model of the atom.

What is the equation for Rutherford Scattering Trajectory?

The equation for Rutherford Scattering Trajectory is given by: θ = 2arctan ((Q1Q2 / 4πε_0mv_0^2) * (1 / b)), where θ is the angle of deflection, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particle and nucleus, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, m is the mass of the particle, v_0 is the initial velocity of the particle, and b is the impact parameter.

What are some applications of Rutherford Scattering Trajectory in modern research?

Rutherford Scattering Trajectory is used in various fields of research, such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and material science, to study the structure and properties of atoms, molecules, and nuclei. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), to detect and diagnose diseases.