Rydberg constant for hydrogen atom and Balmer series

sss1
Homework Statement
Does the Rydberg constant change for different Balmer series lines? Like H_α, H_β, etc. according to the formula, it shouldn’t right, it should only change with the amount of electrons and nucleons? I googled some data and I put them into the formula 1/lambda=R(1/n_f^2-1/n_i^2) and tried for several wavelengths for hydrogen (n_f=2), I ended up with pretty close values but with minor differences. I was wondering if this is due to the accuracy of the instruments measuring the wavelength? Or is it meant to differ for different Balmer series lines?
Relevant Equations
1/lambda=R(1/n_f^2-1/n_i^2)
^^

Physics news on Phys.org
The Rydberg constant is a combination of fundamental constants and so it does not change. The discrepancies you are seeing are probably due to the fact that the Bohr model is only an approximate model and ignores some effects, such as fine structure. Or it could also be due to the accuracy of the measurements, as you said.

phyzguy said:
The Rydberg constant is a combination of fundamental constants and so it does not change. The discrepancies you are seeing are probably due to the fact that the Bohr model is only an approximate model and ignores some effects, such as fine structure. Or it could also be due to the accuracy of the measurements, as you said.
Alright, thanks!

1. What is the Rydberg constant for hydrogen atom?

The Rydberg constant for hydrogen atom is a fundamental physical constant that appears in the formula for the wavelengths of the spectral lines of hydrogen. It is denoted by the symbol RH and has a value of approximately 1.097 x 107 m-1.

2. How is the Rydberg constant calculated?

The Rydberg constant is calculated by taking the difference between the energy levels of the hydrogen atom and dividing it by the Planck constant (h) and the speed of light (c). It can also be calculated using the formula RH = 1/n12 - 1/n22, where n1 and n2 are the principal quantum numbers of the energy levels.

3. What is the significance of the Rydberg constant?

The Rydberg constant is significant because it helps us understand the energy levels of the hydrogen atom and the wavelengths of its spectral lines. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of atomic structure.

4. What is the Balmer series?

The Balmer series is a series of spectral lines in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum that are emitted by the hydrogen atom. These lines are named after Johann Balmer, who first observed them in 1885. The Balmer series is significant because it helped to confirm the existence of quantized energy levels in atoms.

5. How is the Balmer series related to the Rydberg constant?

The Balmer series is related to the Rydberg constant because the formula for the wavelengths of the spectral lines in the Balmer series contains the Rydberg constant. The Balmer series can be expressed as 1/λ = RH(1/4 - 1/n2), where λ is the wavelength and n is the principal quantum number. This relationship allows us to use the Balmer series to determine the value of the Rydberg constant.