Show these wavelengths are consistent with Rydberg formula

You have correctly identified the equation needed to solve for Z, the nuclear charge, in the Balmer series for a hydrogen-like atom. Your method of trial and error is a valid way to determine the value of Z, and it is consistent with the Balmer series. The values of Z that you found (Z=6) correspond to the element carbon. In summary, the wavelengths provided (18.226, 13.501, 12.054 nanometres) are consistent with the Balmer series for a hydrogen-like atom, and correspond to the element carbon.
Kara386

Homework Statement

These wavelengths are emitted by a hot gas:
18.226, 13.501, 12.054 (in nanometres)

Show that they are consistent with the Balmer series for a hydrogen-like atom.
Which element do they correspond to?

Homework Equations

Rearranged Rydberg formula for hydrogen-like atoms:
##Z^2 = \frac{hc}{\lambda R}(\frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{1}{4})^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Z is nuclear charge, that's really what I need to find to identify the element, so I rearranged the Rydberg formula to get the above expression.

The only way I can think of to solve this is by trial and error. So I tried subbing in ##n=3## and the first wavelength, and found that that corresponded to ##Z=6##, then ##n=4## and ##n=5## with the next two wavelengths respectively also gave ##Z=6##. But I'm not sure that really satisfies the condition 'show that they are consistent', because I've just guessed n and it happened to work. Is there a better way to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is good.

Likes Kara386

1. How do you determine if a set of wavelengths is consistent with the Rydberg formula?

The Rydberg formula is a mathematical equation that describes the wavelengths of light emitted by a hydrogen atom. To determine if a set of wavelengths is consistent with this formula, we can plug the values into the equation and see if they match up. If the calculated wavelengths closely match the observed wavelengths, then they are considered consistent with the Rydberg formula.

2. What does the Rydberg formula tell us about the hydrogen atom?

The Rydberg formula tells us about the energy levels of a hydrogen atom. It describes the relationship between the energy levels and the wavelengths of light emitted by the atom. This formula is important because it helped scientists understand the structure of atoms and paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics.

3. Can the Rydberg formula be applied to other elements besides hydrogen?

Yes, the Rydberg formula can be applied to other elements besides hydrogen. However, it needs to be modified to account for the different number of protons and electrons in each element. This modified formula is known as the generalized Rydberg formula.

4. How was the Rydberg formula discovered?

The Rydberg formula was discovered by Swedish physicist Johannes Rydberg in 1888. He studied the wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen and found a pattern that could be described by a mathematical equation. This became known as the Rydberg formula and was later refined by Niels Bohr and others.

5. What are the practical applications of the Rydberg formula?

The Rydberg formula has several practical applications. It is used in spectroscopy to identify elements by analyzing the wavelengths of light they emit. It is also used in astrophysics to study the composition and temperature of stars. Additionally, the formula has been used to accurately predict the transition frequencies of atoms, which is important for technologies such as atomic clocks and GPS systems.