S-N Curve - not even the manufacturer knew this one

• Thread starter alexisonsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve even
In summary, the steel has the following mechanical properties: 0.2% - C, 0.35% - Si, 0.9% - Mn, and 0.05% - P. It has a fatigue limit of 0.4 UTs.
alexisonsmith
Hey,

So I am currently trying to workout the fatigue characteristics of my Formula Student Space frame design, I am using Cold Drawn Seamless mild steel.

I have the following mechanical properties:
Re - 360 MPa
Rm - 450 MPa

I think these are the effective stress intensity range and the max or mean I am not sure stress.

How would I go about creating an S-N curve from this data? If you know you will be a lifesaver!

Thanks,

Alexisonsmith

Engineering news on Phys.org
In most literature that I've seen, R represents the cyclic load kind (e.g. -1 is fully reversed, etc). Perhaps one is the mean stress and one is the maximum?

Also, the is important, as the loading will have an effect on fatigue life. Exactly what type of steel is it? You should be able to directly find fatigue curves.

Cold Drawn Seamless Steel - CFS BKRLS BS6323 Part 4 CFS 3-Bk

I tried to find the S-N Curve by I can't find it at all!

alexisonsmith said:
Cold Drawn Seamless Steel - CFS BKRLS BS6323 Part 4 CFS 3-Bk

That's not really an exact kind of steel, just a type and what looks to be a part number.

It is a mild steel with the following characteristics:
0.2% - C
0.35% - Si
0.9% - Mn
0.05% - P
0.05% - S

Don't know about this steel, but many iron / steels, especially the ductile ones, do not have a fatigue limit.

I thought was aluminium I thought Steel's did have a fatigue limit?

Pretty much all steels I have ever worked with have a fatigue limit. As a rule of thumb steels have a fatigue strength of 0.4UTS, it's very rough and doesn't hold up for all steels so you've got to be careful.

If the manufacturer doesn't know then, they fail. It's more likely they just aren't letting you know. Just badger them to give you a value for fatigue strength. To this you need to apply some 'fiddle factors' for real life fatigue strength.

And why on Earth would a ductile steel have no fatigue limit? They cope with crack propgation better than hard/brittle steels. Unles you mean carburized steels, that have no fatigue lmiit.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I didn't say that very well did I, managed to get it well and truly _-_ backwards.

I meant to say that most steels are employed at well below their endurance limit so the fatigue issue never arises, especially if you are designing to codes. Don't forget that the S-N fatigue only works if you are considering whole cycles of stress. Otherwise you need a Soderberg or similar diagram analysis.

http://www.engrasp.com/doc/etb/mod/fm1/stresslife/stresslife_help.html

Rm is the ultimate strength

Re is the yield stength of

http://www.corusgroup.com/file_sour...oducts/Sections/Steel standard EN10025-04.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Studiot said:
Oh dear, I didn't say that very well did I, managed to get it well and truly _-_ backwards.

I do that all the time :biggrin:, fortunately this place is filled with picky buggers that will weed out even the tinyest wording error.:approve:

EDIT: It's generally why you'll never find one of my posts that hasn't been edited. I always think of a better way to put stuff afterwards.

Related to S-N Curve - not even the manufacturer knew this one

1. What is an S-N Curve?

An S-N Curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the number of stress cycles a material can withstand (S) and the corresponding fatigue strength (N). It is used to determine the fatigue life of a material and is commonly used in engineering and materials science.

2. How is an S-N Curve created?

An S-N Curve is created by subjecting a material to a series of stress cycles and recording the number of cycles it takes for the material to fail. This data is then plotted on a graph, with stress cycles on the x-axis and fatigue strength on the y-axis. The resulting curve can then be used to predict the fatigue life of the material under different stress levels.

3. Why is the S-N Curve important?

The S-N Curve is important because it allows engineers and scientists to predict the fatigue life of a material under different stress levels. This information is crucial in designing and building structures and machines that are safe and reliable.

4. What factors can affect the shape of an S-N Curve?

The shape of an S-N Curve can be affected by several factors, including the type and composition of the material, the manufacturing process, the surface finish, and the environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity). These factors can all influence the fatigue behavior of a material and therefore affect the shape of the curve.

5. Can the S-N Curve be used for all materials?

No, the S-N Curve is not applicable to all materials. It is most commonly used for metals and alloys, but can also be used for some polymers and composites. However, it may not accurately predict the fatigue behavior of other materials such as ceramics and glass. It is important to consult with a materials expert when determining the appropriate fatigue analysis method for a specific material.