Safe Endothermic reactions for skin

In summary: Otherwise, if actual cooling is the goal, anything that evaporates rapidly will do that, i.e. Rubbing Alcohol.In summary, anything that evaporates rapidly will provide cooling.
Zachrz
Hi, Its my first time here in PF, I was wondering what could be a fast endothermic reaction(with water) that does not burn the skin/ cause severe allergic reactions when/after touching or in contact with the reaction. (With high rate of cooling and hopefully no bubbles or gas forming). E.g to be applied onto the skin. I searched all over the web and found urea with water but i don't know whether it is safe for humans. Please give any insights if possible. Thank you

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Zachrz said:
that is safe for humans.
"Safe?" As in what's your definition of "safe?"

Bystander said:
"Safe?" As in what's your definition of "safe?"
Hi, What i meant was whether it does not burn the skin/ cause severe allergic reactions when/after touching or in contact with the reaction. (Hopefully no bubbles or gas forming too)

Zachrz said:
whether it does not burn the skin
Dangerous endothermic reactions would freeze the skin, no? Exothermic reactions would carry the risk of burning...

berkeman said:
Dangerous endothermic reactions would freeze the skin, no? Exothermic reactions would carry the risk of burning...
Ooh... Ooh my, is there any safe endothermic reactions that won't freeze skin, but provide a cooling sensation?

You might want to include "rate of cooling" in the construction of your inquiry; there're differences in "health" effects, "chills" from "old wive's tales" versus "brisk invigoration" of the total immersion of the "polar bear club health nuts."

Thank you! okay i will make an edit for my question.

Zachrz said:
wont freeze skin, but provide a cooling sensation?
Did you just change the question here with "cooling sensation"?
If so, topically applied Menthol gives the 'sensation' of cooling.

Otherwise, if actual cooling is the goal, anything that evaporates rapidly will do that, i.e. Rubbing Alcohol.

Likes TeethWhitener
Hi Tom, Thanks for suggesting menthol, however menthol might damage the skin and have a chance of causing allergies. The chemical substance and the reaction should be safe even for babies.

What's the application ?

There are use-once cold packs, commercially available pretty much everywhere.

What are endothermic reactions?

Endothermic reactions are chemical reactions that absorb heat from their surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature. This is because the reaction requires energy to break bonds between molecules, making it an energy-absorbing process.

Why is it important to have safe endothermic reactions for skin?

Our skin is the largest organ of our body and serves as a protective barrier against external factors. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that any reactions occurring on the skin do not cause harm or damage. Safe endothermic reactions are necessary to prevent burns, irritation, or other adverse effects on the skin.

What are some examples of safe endothermic reactions for skin?

Some examples of safe endothermic reactions for skin include the use of ice packs or cold compresses to reduce swelling or inflammation, the application of certain topical creams or gels for pain relief, and the use of some cosmetic products that produce a cooling sensation on the skin.

How can I identify if an endothermic reaction is safe for my skin?

It is essential to read the ingredients and instructions on any product or substance that will come into contact with your skin. Look for any potential irritants or warnings, and if you have sensitive skin, it is best to perform a patch test before using the product on a larger area of skin.

Are there any potential risks associated with endothermic reactions for skin?

While endothermic reactions can be safe for skin, there is always the potential for adverse reactions or side effects. It is crucial to follow instructions and use products as directed. If you experience any discomfort or irritation, discontinue use and seek medical advice.