Safe Pull-up Bar Span for 124" - Advice?

In summary, the 6061-T6 aluminum tube with a 0.25" wall thickness is too weak for the Rogue P-5V Pull-Up Bar Brackets and the 400 pound load it would support is too much for the tubes that are available. JBA recommends the steel rod.
Justin Bishop
Hello smart physicists!

I'm hoping to run a span of 124" for a pull up bar, with a support in the middle at the 62" point (so 3 supports total). I'm using the Rogue P-5V Pull-Up Bar Brackets (https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-p-5v-garage-pullup-system). The brackets call for a tube with a 1.25" OD.

I'd love to be able to use this aluminum tube: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7003&step=4&showunits=inches&id=71&top_cat=60

Since it's roughly 7x cheaper than something like this steel equivalent: https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=14781&step=4&showunits=inches&id=312&top_cat=1

I'm open to any recommendation. Please help? I just want to make sure I don't get something that leaves me concussed on the floor after an aggressive pull up maneuver. :) Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use an online calculator such as https://www.roguefab.com/tube-calculator/

When I tried it on your specified tube with a 400 pound load, it said your selection was more than 10x too weak.

The same calculator said that the 1.25" x 60" 6061 aluminum tube with a 0.2" wall thickness would do it. The one you linked has 0.011" wall thickness.

Edit: I said 400 pounds as double the weight of the heaviest person. Are you thinking of more than one person at a time?

thanks Anor. It would just be one person at a time. I must be missing something, because it appears both tubes I linked have a wall thickness of 0.25", not 0.011" ?

The roguefab site is useful. If I'm understanding right, does this mean the 6061-T6 Aluminum tube I linked to will just barely work at 400lbs?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 10.03.51 AM.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 531
Justin Bishop said:
I must be missing something, because it appears both tubes I linked have a wall thickness of 0.25", not 0.011" ?

You're correct. When I went there, I read the wall thickness tolerance, not the actual dimension.

Due to the potential for a jerk at the start pf a pull up, which can double or more the bar loading of a 200 lb individual, the 376 lbs yield point that I calculated your selected Al tube is not safe for your application.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and StoneTemplePython
JBA said:
Due to the potential for a jerk at the start pf a pull up, which can double or more the bar loading of a 200 lb individual, the 376 lbs yield point that I calculated your selected Al tube is not safe for your application.
thanks JBA for your input. When I plug in the numbers for the 62" 6061-T6 Aluminum Tube with 1.25" OD and 0.25" wall thickness at https://www.roguefab.com/tube-calculator/ I get a computed load of about 425lbs. Am I doing something differently?

Also, what would you recommend? I'm open to any ideas.

Would it be at all possible to use a strong species of hardwood as a 1.25" dowel?

The short answer is "no". Have you seen the size and cost of the the wooden rails for parallel bars for gymnastics? They are composite wooden structures and you don't even want to know their cost. A 1.25" diameter wooden dowel wouldn't come anywhere close to having a safe strength for you application.

Thanks JBa. So do you recommend the steel rod then, or what? Also I won’t be doing anyone handed pull ups so my load will be distributed a bit and roguefab says 435lbs. I also weigh less than 180lbs. You definitely think the aluminum wouldn’t cut it?

That would probably work, but that does not come with any guarantee, only a registered certified engineer can provide that.

The bending stress for a 200 lb load would be reduced to 16ksi and the ASM published min yield for that alloy is 73ksi (twice that of the 6061 T6); so, for a 200 lb load the safety factor = 73/16 = 4.5 which is more in the safe range needed. Also, there is no risk of a buckling failure with the solid bar as opposed the tubing and the amount of bar center droop and spring board effect will also be substantially reduced.

Edit: go to http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6 for complete material properties for that bar material

Likes Justin Bishop and StoneTemplePython
JBA said:
That would probably work, but that does not come with any guarantee, only a registered certified engineer can provide that.

The bending stress for a 200 lb load would be reduced to 16ksi and the ASM published min yield for that alloy is 73ksi (twice that of the 6061 T6); so, for a 200 lb load the safety factor = 73/16 = 4.5 which is more in the safe range needed. Also, there is no risk of a buckling failure with the solid bar as opposed the tubing and the amount of bar center droop and spring board effect will also be substantially reduced.

Edit: go to http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA7075T6 for complete material properties for that bar material
thanks a lot JBA, I'm going to give it a shot :)

Justin Bishop said:
I'm hoping to run a span of 124" for a pull up bar, with a support in the middle at the 62" point (so 3 supports total).
Why such a long span? That's 10' 4". Can't you use a shorter bar of, say, 24", with a support at each end? Some years ago I made a pullup bar out of a wood dowel about 1 -1/4" or 1 - 1/2", with a hole drilled at each end. I screwed eye-bolts into a a couple of rafters on my porch, and hung short pieces of stout woven rope from the eye-bolts down through the dowel, with figure-8 knots keeping the dowel in place. It worked great.

1. What is the safe pull-up bar span for a 124 inch doorway?

The safe pull-up bar span for a 124 inch doorway is typically between 40-48 inches. This allows for enough space for your body to comfortably fit while performing pull-ups without risking injury.

2. How do I measure the width of my doorway for a pull-up bar?

To measure the width of your doorway, use a measuring tape and measure the distance between the inside edges of the door frame. Make sure to measure at the top, middle, and bottom of the doorway to ensure accuracy.

3. Can I use a pull-up bar in a doorway with trim or molding?

It is not recommended to use a pull-up bar in a doorway with trim or molding as it can reduce the stability and potentially damage the trim. If your doorway has trim or molding, consider using a pull-up bar that attaches to the wall or ceiling instead.

4. What happens if I exceed the recommended pull-up bar span for my doorway?

If you exceed the recommended pull-up bar span for your doorway, you run the risk of the bar slipping or breaking, which can result in injury. It's important to always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for safe usage.

5. Can I install a pull-up bar in a doorway that is not a standard size?

Some pull-up bars may come with extension pieces or be adjustable, allowing them to fit in non-standard doorway sizes. However, it's crucial to check the manufacturer's specifications and make sure the bar is securely installed before use.