Safely reshaping small ABS keys

• Thread starter Corey Williams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, the conversation revolves around a used keyboard with a bent key that is clamping down on the channel it rests in. The person is looking for a way to fix the key without breaking it, and has considered using steam or a hair dryer to soften the ABS plastic key. They are also concerned about potential negative effects on the dye. Research shows that the softening temperature for ABS plastic is between 90oC and 115oC, and it may be necessary to go slightly higher to reduce the chance of cracking. Another possible solution mentioned is using a file to fix the slight bend.
Corey Williams
I got a used keyboard on eBay, and it works just fine except for one key. It is slightly bent on one side (no idea how they managed that without taking the key out and stepping on it or something) and is clamping down on the channel it rests in. Because of that, when it is pressed in, it stays in.

From what I found keyboard keys are made of ABS plastic. I was hoping to place it over some steam and soften it enough to use a pair of smooth needle nose pliers to unbend it. I have a few concerns, and I figured the best people to ask were some material engineers. :)

1. What temperature would I need to make it so that it isn't too hard or so soft that I risk losing its overall shape. I just want it a bit more malluable so I don't break it in half trying to bend it.
2. Although I doubt it would have much of an effect, would heating it have any negative side effects to the dye?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A Google search returns over 90 000 hits: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=abs+softening+temperature

Softening temperature depends on the particular formulation and falls between 90oC and 115oC. That's the temperature that softening starts, you may need to go a little higher to reduce the chance of cracking. That makes steam a possibility, or a hair dryer or heat gun if needed.

If it is just a slight bend, perhaps a file would be an easier approach.

What materials do I need to safely reshape small ABS keys?

To safely reshape small ABS keys, you will need a heat source (such as a hair dryer or heat gun), a pair of pliers, a bowl of ice water, and a flat surface for shaping.

How do I prevent the ABS keys from melting while reshaping?

To prevent the ABS keys from melting, it is important to use a low heat setting on your heat source and to continuously monitor the temperature of the keys. You can also dip the keys in the ice water periodically during the reshaping process to cool them down.

Can I reshape ABS keys that are attached to a keyboard?

In most cases, it is not recommended to reshape ABS keys that are attached to a keyboard. This can cause damage to the keyboard and may result in the keys not functioning properly. It is best to remove the keys from the keyboard before reshaping them.

Is it safe to reshape ABS keys multiple times?

Yes, it is generally safe to reshape ABS keys multiple times. However, it is important to be cautious and not apply too much heat or pressure, as this can weaken the keys and cause them to break.

What is the best way to reshape the keys to avoid damaging them?

The best way to reshape the keys is to use gentle heat and pressure. Start by heating the key for a few seconds, then use the pliers to gently shape the key while it is still warm. If the key is not shaping easily, repeat the process with a little more heat until you achieve the desired shape.