Sagittarius A*: the riddle of gas cloud G2

In summary: The cloud was never at r→0. The predicted closest approach was 3000 times the Schwarzschild radius (from here), where relativistic effects are extremely tiny.
EinsteinKreuz
So perhaps I'm not the only one here on PF who's heard about this .That said, besides the gas cloud G2 concealing a low-mass star, I cannot help but wonder what azimuthal angle G2 made its closest approach to the supermassive black hole Sagittarius A*. The reason this is relevant is because Sagittarius A* is a black hole with a Kerr metric. So the azimuthal angle I'm talking about is the angular displacement between G2 at its perihelion and the rotation axis of Sagittarius A*. Kerr black holes tend to wobble when infalling matter approaches them above the equatorial plane of rotation but not directly along the axis or rotation and when they do they emit ionizing radiation. For matter to be spaghettified and absorbed into the so-called ring of death the matter must be falling in at an azimuthal angle of ~90° from the rotational axis. So perhaps that explains why G2 wasn't swallowed up by Sagittarius A*. Thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think we know either the angular momentum or the spin axis of Sagittarius A* with any certainty.

phyzguy said:
I don't think we know either the angular momentum or the spin axis of Sagittarius A* with any certainty.

Oh I certainly agree. However, even if the actual direction of its spin axis is not known with any certainty, I don't see how this precludes the explanation I offered as a possibility.

The mass of the cloud, with or without star, is tiny compared to the black hole mass. Its influence on the BH is negligible.
EinsteinKreuz said:
and when they do they emit ionizing radiation
Source?
EinsteinKreuz said:
For matter to be spaghettified and absorbed into the so-called ring of death the matter must be falling in at an azimuthal angle of ~90° from the rotational axis.
Tidal effects are present in all directions. The interior of the black hole does not matter here, everything relevant happens outside.

Also, you can assume astronomers know how tidal gravity works.

mfb said:
The mass of the cloud, with or without star, is tiny compared to the black hole mass. Its influence on the BH is negligible.
Source?
Tidal effects are present in all directions. The interior of the black hole does not matter here, everything relevant happens outside.

Also, you can assume astronomers know how tidal gravity works.
In that case, are you suggesting that Sagittarius A* is not an actual black hole?

I am not suggesting this.
What gave you that impression?

mfb said:
I am not suggesting this.
What gave you that impression?

Lemme elaborate...

You mentioned tidal forces surrounding a (Kerr)black hole are isotropic(as they would be for a Schwarzschild black hole). Now the Kerr metric is the equation:

e1348994faa6135cc22161e039faff60.png

Where ##r_{s} = \frac{2GM}{c^{2}}## is the Schwarzschild radius,

α = ##\frac{J}{Mc}## is the angular momentum

ρ = r2 + α2cos2θ

Δ2 = r2-rsr+α2Now when θ = 90°, ρ = r2 and sin2θ = 1

And if you make the substitutions and take the limit we have ## \lim_{r\to 0} c^{2}d\tau^{2} = -\infty ##

But for 0 < θ < 90°, when we take the limit as r→0 it can be shown by substituting r=0 that the metric tensor neither vanishes nor becomes infinite. So the tidal force F = ##\frac{d(d\tau^{2})}{dr}## is not the same for θ=90° as it is for θ < 90°. Thus the tidal forces surround a black hole with a Kerr metric are not isotropic.

EinsteinKreuz said:
You mentioned tidal forces surrounding a (Kerr)black hole are isotropic
No I did not. I said they exist in all directions.

mfb said:
No I did not. I said they exist in all directions.
Okay...fair enough. The article mentioned that G2 is undergoing spaghettification due to tidal forces but did not get sucked into Sagittarius A*. And my hypothesis was that G2's flyby had an azimuthal angle that is < 90° because at such an angle the Kerr metric tensor does not become infinite as r→0.

The cloud was never at r→0. The predicted closest approach was 3000 times the Schwarzschild radius (from here), where relativistic effects are extremely tiny.

1. What is Sagittarius A* and gas cloud G2?

Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*) is a supermassive black hole located at the center of our Milky Way galaxy. Gas cloud G2 is a large cloud of gas and dust that orbits around Sgr A*, discovered in 2011.

2. How did gas cloud G2 become a riddle?

Gas cloud G2 was initially predicted to be disrupted and accreted by Sgr A* when it made its closest approach in 2014. However, it survived the encounter, puzzling scientists and leading to further investigation.

3. What is the significance of studying gas cloud G2?

The study of gas cloud G2 provides valuable insight into the extreme environment near a supermassive black hole. It also allows for testing and refining of theories about the formation and evolution of galaxies.

4. What have scientists learned from studying gas cloud G2?

Scientists have learned that gas cloud G2 is composed of hydrogen and helium, and its orbit is highly elliptical. They have also observed changes in the cloud's density and temperature, as well as the formation of a long tail.

5. What are the current theories about the origin of gas cloud G2?

There are several theories about the origin of gas cloud G2, including that it is a remnant of a larger gas cloud, or that it was formed from material ejected by a nearby star. However, the most widely accepted theory is that it is a result of a collision between two stars in the past, with one star being disrupted and the other captured by Sgr A*.