Salt Bridges in Cells: Voltage & Distance

In summary, salt bridges maintain charge, so the voltage of the cell is not affected by the distance of the electrodes from the salt bridge.
Natalie456
I know that salt bridges maintain charge, thus allowing the reaction to proceed. I was wondering if the distance of the electrodes from the salt bridge affects the voltage of the cell in any way. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Natalie456 said:
I know that salt bridges maintain charge

I am not convinced that's the best of wording of the salt bridge purpose (they don't 'maintain', they close the circuit and allow the charge to flow).

Natalie456 said:
I was wondering if the distance of the electrodes from the salt bridge affects the voltage of the cell in any way

Open circuit voltage - no, this is independent of the cell geometry. However, the geometry of the electrodes and size of the cell do change the internal cell resistance, so they limit maximum current battery can deliver.

Salt bridges mainly destroy the junction potential between the electrolytic solution & the electrodes, thus maintaining the constant flow of current.

Anindya Mondal said:
destroy the junction potential between the electrolytic solution & the electrodes

And how are they going to destroy the junction potential when they are in a completely different part of the circuit?

Borek said:
And how are they going to destroy the junction potential when they are in a completely different part of the circuit?
I think the junction potential may be fine, but the battery potential will go down.
Consider the cathode of a lemon battery where the reaction is: Zn + 2H+ -> Zn2+ + H2. The produced positive ions will give the electrolyte a positive charge. If the positive charge can't be neutralized by ions from elsewhere, the potential of the cathode wil go down, because of all the positive charge near it, but the junction potential between the negative cathode and the positive electrolyte won't change.

(There is another effect. The changed concentration of Zn2+ and H+ ions will lower the junction potential, but this shouldn't be affected by the length or distance of the salt bridge)

The positive charge around the cathode and negative charge around the anode produce an electric field that drives the current through the salt bridge.
If the salt bridge becomes longer, a larger electric field will be needed to drive the same amount of current through the salt bridge, so more positive charge will remain around the cathode, and the battery potential will go down. Increasing the current will have the same effect. The salt bridge acts just like internal resistance of the battery.

Likes YashRaka
willem2 said:
The salt bridge acts just like internal resistance of the battery.

Which is why in my first post I have specifically referred to the open circuit voltage.

Thanks for all the help! I think I have a solid answer, now.

1. What are salt bridges in cells?

Salt bridges in cells are bonds formed between positively and negatively charged ions, typically sodium and chloride ions. These bonds help to stabilize the structure and function of macromolecules, such as proteins, within the cell.

2. How do salt bridges affect voltage in cells?

Salt bridges play a crucial role in maintaining the voltage balance within cells. The charged ions in the salt bridge help to create an electrical potential that allows for the transmission of signals between cells and within the nervous system.

3. Can the distance between salt bridges affect cell function?

Yes, the distance between salt bridges can impact cell function. If the distance is too far, the electrical potential may not be strong enough to transmit signals effectively. On the other hand, if the distance is too close, it may lead to an imbalance in voltage and disrupt cell function.

4. How are salt bridges formed in cells?

Salt bridges are typically formed through electrostatic interactions between oppositely charged ions. These interactions can occur spontaneously or can be facilitated by specific enzymes or proteins within the cell.

5. What is the significance of salt bridges in cellular processes?

Salt bridges are crucial for many cellular processes, including cell signaling, protein structure and function, and maintaining the overall balance of ions within the cell. They help to regulate the voltage and electrical potential within cells, which is essential for proper functioning of the nervous system and other cellular processes.