Salt concentration and its electrical resistance

In summary, the relationship between salt concentration in distilled water and its electrical resistance is dependent on the concentration of salt and can be quantified using Ohm's Law. However, the actual resistance of a cell would also depend on its geometry. A solution of salt has a characteristic conductivity and more information can be found by searching "salt solution conductivity".
Jane Bondarenko
What would be the theoretical relationship between/ a formula for the salt concentration in distilled water and its electrical resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jane Bondarenko said:
What would be the theoretical relationship between/ a formula for the salt concentration in distilled water and its electrical resistance?
Is a salt water solution an ohmic conductor? i.e. does it even have an electrical resistance that can be quantified with a single number?

jbriggs444 said:
Is a salt water solution an ohmic conductor? i.e. does it even have an electrical resistance that can be quantified with a single number?
Depends on the concentration of salt in water. I am doing an investigation where salt would be the independent variable and its resistance would be dependent. For practical formula for resistance I'm using Ohm's Law (R= V/I), but I need a theoretical value as well.

A solution of salt would have a characteristic conductivity (or resistivity). The resistance of an actual cell would depend on its geometry. If you google "salt solution conductivity" I'm sure you'll find lots of information.

1. What is the relationship between salt concentration and electrical resistance?

The higher the salt concentration, the lower the electrical resistance. This is because salt ions are good conductors of electricity, so an increase in their concentration allows for more efficient flow of electrical current.

2. How does salt concentration affect the conductivity of a solution?

As the salt concentration increases, the conductivity of the solution also increases. This is because the salt ions act as charge carriers, allowing for the flow of electricity through the solution.

3. What is the role of ions in determining the electrical resistance of a solution?

Ions are responsible for carrying electrical charge in a solution. In the case of salt concentration, an increase in the number of ions results in a decrease in electrical resistance, as there are more charge carriers available to conduct electricity.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between salt concentration and electrical resistance?

Temperature can influence the conductivity of a solution, which in turn affects the relationship between salt concentration and electrical resistance. Generally, an increase in temperature results in an increase in conductivity and a decrease in electrical resistance.

5. Can the electrical resistance of a solution be used to measure the salt concentration?

Yes, the electrical resistance of a solution can be used as an indirect measure of salt concentration. As mentioned, there is an inverse relationship between the two, so a higher electrical resistance would indicate a lower salt concentration and vice versa.